What the bleepedy-bleep is going on?

alison

Hi Robvia, I wouldn't let some of these people get you down, we've all started there. Your not going to learn a thing if all you hear is nag, nag, nag. Here ar a few suggestions I have for ya: You don't have high enough lighting for your corals. I have 220 watts of power compacts, not florescents, in my 55 gal, and I can barely keep any corals alive long term, I'm getting another 175 watt metal halide to add on. Also a red hermit, and a scarlet hermit, are not the same thing. A scarlet hermit, is about the size of a dime, and a red hermit is a good 5+ inches. You wanna stick with tiny hermits in a reef. Also do a couple of water changes to get your nitrates down. Also you might have too high of nitrates because your feeding too much, and you maxed out on fish. I would only feed a pinch of food once daily. Also I would recommend cutting down on the fish you have. Panther groupers get way too big, and poop way too much for your size of tank. Naso tangs need a minimum of 120 gal. and the false moorish idol you have gets WAY big. I would stick with the chromis, and the damsels, and the coral beauty, the clowns, and maybe a regal tang instead of a yellow tang or naso tang. Also, big angelfish, and most butterfly fish eat corals. So, all in all, only add one fish per month, after you get your nitrates down, and get higher lighting, and don't go crazy on with buying too many fish, and don't feed too much. And remember to ALWAYS quarantine. These are just recommendations I have for ya to get your tank healthy again. I wish you the best of luck with your tank, and keep us posted. -ali :happyfish

mary

So Alison, Your advice is different than what all of us have been telling him? Not trying to start anything here now, but it seems you are repeating in your own words exactly what many of us who are trying to be helpful, have already told Robvia. Why do you use the term nagging? And it is beautiful unique fish that are being let down, not Robvia. He is attempting to learn from we who have been in this hobby for years and have learned some of us the hard way, as he is doing and some of us did our work before starting our hobby and still ran into trouble. Sorry you consider our well meant advice "nagging" .

robvia

I have found much of the advice here very helpful. Some has been just plain wrong. Hardest part has been figuring out which is which. Some is opinion not based on any real facts. My tank is to the point that I really like it. It's not a "Tank of the Month" entry, but it will be one day. Mary is correct in saying it is the fish that have been let down. Hard to ask all the right questions when you are getting started. You just don't know what to ask. The only nagging is when people don't offer any suggestions to help. I appreciate all the help and hopefully will make less mistakes in the future.

mary

I hope you get as addicted with your, once established, tank as I have. After the learning and getting it to the point of where you really know what you are doing. it is thoroughly enjoyable! Mine is very calming, and an educational tool. Love and need both. Enjoy

alison

:happyfish Hi mary, I wasn't talking about you in specific being nagging, just some of the people, like I said. Often times on these boards, there are people who feel it's their job to give newbees a tough time, and I think they forget that that's where we started too, maybe not near as bad off, but bad nontheless. My opinion is this: If you nag or swear or name call a newbee on something not very good they did, they aren't going to learn a thing, all their going to do is get mad, and possibly leave the boards. That was all I was trying to get across.
:happyfish , ali

mary

Alison, You know. I looked back at some of the "help" comments and I see what you mean. Somehow overlooked them. The negative comments are useless. Sorry. Now it is understood. Can't figure out why some of you can't just give constructive advice given you all must be real pro's at this. I have had a tank for 10 years now and am learning something every day, and still combat algea, but love the hobby.