What the heck is this?

triggaluv

I was just looking at my tank one night when I couldnt sleep and this "thing" scared the crap out of me when i was looking at some rocks.. I have no idea where it came from.. I havnt added anything in my tank in months.....
Any idea?

poniegirl

I had a couple of them volunteer, as well. One looks soft, like yours, but brown and the other has a shell looking thing. The shell is flat doesn't even cover half of him.
Last night I was thinning caulerpa and watched him cruise under the tips of my green bubble tip anemone. I thought, well that'll be his last mistake. No harm done, though. They look a bit hairy and I wonder if that is some great protection.
I also have about 20 juvenile seastars that must have come as volunteers. I have never purchased one!

maxalmon

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
I also have about 20 juvenile seastars that must have come as volunteers. I have never purchased one!
Are the juvie seastars white and about 1/4 inch in size, if so they are asternia's and you should get rid of them, they like to eat zoo's.

poniegirl

They have white on their edges and are dark gray for the most part. Size-wise the biggest is about 1/2 inch. They are rock dwellers.
What do they eat?

zman1

Are you sure they are not Brittle Stars? I have a bunch of these and are typically no larger than 3/4 of an inch. I forget the name, Ophiura has indicated what they are before on someone elses thread. Can you get a picture of them?
Attached is a very horrible picture of one - Sorry for the quality

poniegirl

They are sturdy looking, though it happens more often than not that they don't have all appendages. When they are on the glass, it is clear that they are from the seastar family.
I'll attempt a photo this evening.

poniegirl

Thanks, Zman1, but no luck. These guys have a smooth look almost chocolate chippish. I will try to photo tonight after I put in my 8.

poniegirl

Horrible photo, sorry. This guy has only a couple of appendages intact. It does show his color pretty well.

poniegirl

Okay, so I guess back a few squares and what is it they like to eat?
I can certainly abolish if I need to. They are fun to look at, but there's no
attachment.

bang guy

Ophiura once told me that they pretty much eat what's in front of them. So, Whatever you find it on, that's probably what it's eating.
I have hundreds but I've never seen them on a coral. There are species that can eat coral though.
If it were me I'd just enjoy them unless you see them on something you don't want eaten.

ophiura

IMO most species of Asterina are prefectly harmless....and I would say that is the experience of the majority of people keeping tanks who have them (many many many people). I STRONGLY disagree with the statement to remove them. Very few are bad, and it is wasted effort at best...because it is virtually impossible to remove them.
Most will just eat bacterial/algal films, which is why they are commonly on rock and glass. Few will eat coralline algae - but realistically this should regrow....and even fewer, IMO, eat SPS or soft corals. I have never had issues with them eating zoos, personally. Like many animals, they are often unfairly implicated in losses.
Just enjoy unless you see actual positive signs of trouble. But you would be an exception if you did, IMO.
Asterina stars tend to have asymetrical arms and somewhere between 5 and 8. They reproduce easily in tanks. They will not get much larger than a dime or nickel.

poniegirl

You are all awesome.
Question if I may. Is there a common link in length of establish and the presence of these guys? Does an excess of nutrients of any sort contribute? Just wanting more experience based O's.
Have a great weekend!