What The *%#~ They're Hideous!?!?!

saltyshark

Sorry if I spoiled anyones lunch :( But this is important!
Even if u have no idea what they are...post your opinion...if you were in my position and you had no idea what they are would you remove them..or leave them in??

N

newreefers

totally a guess, but it looks like the egg casing of an insect. If It were me I would remove them. Do you have enything in your tank that would lay some sort of egg?

saltyshark

Thakr21: lol
newreefers: I agree...that's what im bettin on...check out my signature I don't see anything that would do this.
entice59 & LionStorm: They look like a lot of things unfortunatly.

N

newreefers

I didn't see anything in your sig that would lay eggs, but asked just in case you had something in the tank but not on your sig. I would flush them. Where are you located?

F

freshsaltychick

When you say "floating on the surface attached to the glass" where exactly? Totally submerged, partially submerged? Although I am a newbie to saltwater tanks, I am a biologist and have to say that newreefers could be right. The pics a bit blurry, do they have a hard casing? What's inside? I say take one and open it and inspect the inhabitant - you'll be able to tell cleary if it's a terrestrial or marine creature pretty easily. If you have ANY openings at the top of you tank an insect wuld definitly take advantage of the moist, warm climate inside the top of your tank to hatch some babies.

saltyshark

newreefers: I am located in Illinois not to far from Chicago. Everything that is in my tank is on my sig so it must not be from the tank...unless it came on the LR I bought a week ago.
FreshSaltyChick: partially submerged. Most were half way in half way out. They do have a hard caseing like a cacoon of some sort. I am not sure what's inside it...it looks to me like there is a yellowish tint shell wrapped around a larvae of somesort? I do have an opening at the top of my tank because my lighting hangs directly on top of it. I will try to open one up although it might be hard since they are very small.
Thanks
Mike

N

newreefers

hhmmmm, considering where you live I am now rethinking the insect thing, it has to be too cold for anything like that there. Where did you get the new liverock? If at the lfs, maybe you can take them to the store and see if they know anything?

saltyshark

Yes I got them at the LFS...that's a good idea, I will stop by tomorrow and ask about this phenomena;) thanks a lot!
Mike