what this light, what can I get?

jdog5578

with a 192 watt PC, ona 46 gal. bow front. What kind of anenome will do well? Would a carpet do ok?

earlybird

most would recommend nothing short of medal halide lighting for an anemone. PCs don't seem to cut it.

jdog5578

Come on. I bought a $200 light setup and it isnt enough for even one anenome? There has to be some that will do well under this. It is almost 5 watts per gallon.

scsinet

That light setup is not good enough for a CARPET anemone. I'd place a carpet anemone in the top 2% of all animals available in the hobby as far as lighting needs go.
A Bubble Tip, Condy, and Haitian will all do okay under that setup, but anemones in general require more intensity than any PC system can provide.
Oh, and price has nothing to do with it. Lighting systems can cost thousands.

jdog5578

Originally Posted by SCSInet
That light setup is not good enough for a CARPET anemone. I'd place a carpet anemone in the top 2% of all animals available in the hobby as far as lighting needs go.
A Bubble Tip, Condy, and Haitian will all do good under that setup.
Oh, and price has nothing to do with it. Lighting systems can cost thousands.
understandable. I guess I thought I was getting more for my money.
Will a Percula clown take to a Bubble Tip, Condy, or Haitian? Is this plenty of light for them, or will they be struggling to get by?

hot883

Originally Posted by jdog5578
Come on. I bought a $200 light setup and it isnt enough for even one anenome? There has to be some that will do well under this. It is almost 5 watts per gallon.
Aiptasia works well under those lights.

Seriously, thats why it is so important to do research on purchases.

hot883

Originally Posted by hot883

I would NOT recommend ANY anemone (even the ones listed) because you are new and the tank is new.

jdog5578

I would NOT recommend ANY anemone (even the ones listed) because you are new and the tank is new.

yes tank is new. I kept saltwater for 5+ years. However also took a 5 year break and am re-learning the hobby. I am thinking for the future. thats all.

jdog5578

well lets hope I dont end up with Aptasia.
That is what I am doing right now talking to you, researching.
What would have been the most economical effective light to buy?

scsinet

If money is #1, then I'd get a Oddysea... that's about the most bang for the buck out there.
Go T5 or Halide, and go at least 6-7 watts per gallon.
As for the hosting... a percula won't readily host in anything but Carpets or H. magnificas. They MAY host in just about anything though.
NO CLOWN will not in a Condy.
For a hosting scenario that is easy to sustain and likely to succeed (I.E. the clown decides to go in) IMO is the Bubble Tip and Maroon Stripe Clown.

renogaw

i have 2 bta's thriving under PC lighting. i wish people would stop saying you can't have any anenomes under them. mine are so big i may have to get rid of one just for tank space.

jdog5578

seems bubble tip is the way to go for me. Ill get one of those some day. My new Flame Angel arrives today and I am pretty excited just to have something nicer than a Yellowtail Damsel.

scsinet

Originally Posted by renogaw
i have 2 bta's thriving under PC lighting. i wish people would stop saying you can't have any anenomes under them. mine are so big i may have to get rid of one just for tank space.
ACTUALLY, if you review the comments on this thread, the only time someone said you couldn't keep a type of anemone under PCs they (I) were/was referring to a carpet. As for a BTA, nobody said you couldn't, we just said it wasn't recommended
It's all about chance of success, and I will say, for the record, that you have "less chance" of successfully keeping any anemone (with the exception of the low light varieties such as tube, rock, and mushroom) with PCs than you do with more intense lighting.
For a beginning aquarist, I, as do others, tend to recommend hardware that increases their chance of success and decreases the challenges they will face. Anemones are not the easiest animals to keep, but above-marginal lighting will make it a heck of a lot easier.

JMO

renogaw

Originally Posted by SCSInet
ACTUALLY, if you review the comments on this thread, the only time someone said you couldn't keep a type of anemone under PCs they (I) were/was referring to a carpet. As for a BTA, nobody said you couldn't, we just said it wasn't recommended
It's all about chance of success, and I will say, for the record, that you have "less chance" of successfully keeping any anemone (with the exception of the low light varieties such as tube, rock, and mushroom) with PCs than you do with more intense lighting.
For a beginning aquarist, I, as do others, tend to recommend hardware that increases their chance of success and decreases the challenges they will face. Anemones are not the easiest animals to keep, but above-marginal lighting will make it a heck of a lot easier.

JMO
ACTUALLY if you read the second post, he says no anenomes under pc's.

scsinet

Originally Posted by earlybird
most would recommend
nothing short of medal halide lighting for an anemone. PCs don't seem
to cut it.
Just sayin....