What to add first

lowend

Hello, just getting into the hobby. Have a 30gal reef that has been cycled for the last 2 months. I have 50lbs of live sand and approx. 60lbs of live rock. my question is what should i put in the tank first, Inverts, fish, coral? please help me out.
i had heard to put in inverts, then fish, then coral. is this right?

lowend

any suggestions on what inverts?
i was thinking about getting the 55-99gal package from this site and spliting it between my reef tank and my fish only tank.

lowend

i added the invert cleanup package a week ago, and all my nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels read zero, does this mean i can add some fish now. what would be a good starter for a reef.

S

scott6321

I just try to help where i can here and i'm kinda new to this myself but as for fish you have to do some reserch on what you like some times when fish get bigger it becomes a problem the pick at things or on things all I can really say is don't get aggresive fish it comes back to haunt you sorry I can't help to much.

lowend

i was thinking about getting an angel or a tang, any suggestions. my roomate want's to get a yellow hawiian tang, but i think that is a little overdone. i told him to get one and put it in the FO tank. also, could i put an angel and tang together in a 30gal tank, or is this too small.

clarkiiboi

IMHO, the tang will not work in either tank, they need at least a 75 gall., and that's pushing it . The angel--wait till the tanks have reached the 6 month mark before adding (just trust me on this one). The angel needs at least a 30 gall, but that's pushing it also. Your 40 would be better, but if it has no LR for shelter than scratch that. Just my 2 cents. Bummer and all.