What to add for coarline algae?

jcsurfn

What can you put in do help the coarline algae grow on the LR? I have read that some people put some kind of liquid or something. What are some good things to do?
Thank You

barracuda

Stable levels of Alkalinity and Calcium along with lights may be enough. Some add liquids though. I dunno add nothing except Kalkwasser and it spreads fast enough. First of all you have to have a rock with some coraline on it. Second....patience!

cc0905

I started using 'coral-vital' and within a week I had corraline showing up on my circ pumps and my overflow, coincidence ? not sure, but stable water parameters are absolutely neccesary
HTH

jcsurfn

The LR I have not has a lot of coarline algae on it. I also see it growing other places. It looks good now. I am just looking to add some base rock and was hink how I could get it to grow on there fast. I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing. :D Someone mentioned the sea lab 28 is that the block or calcium and stuff?

jcsurfn

Thank You for the reply. :D I had to ask I remember reading a post that someone added something and the coarline was growing like crazy. So I guess what works for one might not work for the other. :D So i guess just ry and see what happens.
Thank You

sammystingray

I'm not one to add any snake oil to my tank to hope for faster results. You say it is growing, right? I would say to just let it go, and don't get into the habbit of trying to super-charge your tank with chemicals and whatnot. Sometimes these chemical and whatever actually do more harm than good. When I started, I went through a phase where I tried every product on the shelves at my local store........I don't think a single one worked that great. My fiancee and I were fighting really bad for awhile, and I was in and out, and totally neglected the reef. After it all settled down a few months later, I got back into the reef again, and basically noticed how much better it did with me NOT messing with it all the time. I still to this day try to not mess with my tank all the time trying to find a miracle product or whatever, and the tank does so much better. It is completely stable and all is well.

T

thomas712

A good example of "Less is More", yet we spend hours on here telling everyone just how they should mess with their own tanks :D Crazy isn't it?
Thomas

dindi

Well I heard, never used that coral vital DNA by marc weiss, it is the way to go, SWF.com doesn't sell it so go to marcweissco.com to see more on the product, you can't buy it there but you can see the info on the products. What I think is this hobby is moving way fast, can't keep up with the Jone's:)

jcsurfn

Thank You for the replys. i rely dont mess with mine at all as in adding stuff. i was just looking at getting some base rock to put with my LR and thought I would ask if there is anything i should add to get it to grow on there. IfI do end up getting the base rock to add to my LR I will just let it be to see what happens.

entice59

is it true that if you scrape the coraline off it and let it spread around your tank, this will help spread the coraline?

T

thomas712

entice - Its absolutly true.
Crabs do it
Urchins do it
Hermits do it
Thomas

S

simm

All is true about spreading coraline. However I believe urchins feast off of it.

tkblazer

some say to point a powerhead at some coraline and use a clean tooth brush to scrub it and release some spores