What to add?

hallzy

Wow its been a minute since I've been in the forums! So long that it actually took me a lil bit to figure out my username and password! Now that im back tho, im sure ill get addicted again, just like any other time I've been here! Lol
ANYWAYS..... im thinking about adding a couple fish to my 65 gallon reef tank. Im going to try and stay away from the expensive type, because it seems like im always fine, until I try getting brave and adding that $60 fish and then they all get ich and I have to start all over again. I also wanna keep it a very calm tank because im tired of worrying if my semi aggressive fish are going to butt heads with each other, or pick on the more calm fish.
So here's what I have now: full grown engineer goby (or at least I think he's full grown, he's bout 1-1.5 foot long but he spends so much time in his tunnels that its hard to tell exactly), a yellow watchman goby, and a bar goby. Sensing a theme yet? Lol No im not going for an all goby tank, it just happened to work out that way. But they are a pretty peaceful group so I really wouldn't even mind an all goby tank.
I want to eventually get a mandarin, so any other fish that eats copepods is not going to go in. I need to save those for the mandarin! I wont be getting that for awhile tho. I have had my tank set up for a few years now, but I still don't feel its ready for a mandarin.
And I also get suggestions of a royal gramma alot since they are inexpensive and peaceful for the most part, but im just not a big fan of them. I don't know why. They just kind of bore me for some reason! Lol
But besides that, im open to suggestions! What do u think?

btldreef

Welcome back!
Some fish to consider:
Blenny of some sort
Coral Beauty
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse
Cardinals
firefish

hallzy

Welcome back!
Some fish to consider:
Blenny of some sort
Coral Beauty
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse
Cardinals
firefish
All awesome suggestions! Except the cardinals, I don't know what it is bout them but they remind me of freshwater fish. Lol I definetly think I would like to add firefish, because I've had them before, and they are really fun to watch in groups of 3, but do u think that adding 3 would be too much? And I had considered a coral beauty, cause I LOVE them, but I thought they were somewhat aggressive? I would love to be wrong tho because I would LOVE to add one, but I want to keep my fish as peaceful as possible. And I know this is kind of off my "non expensive" wishlist, but arnt flame angels similar to coral beauties? I know they can't be put together, but if they are peaceful, and I got to chose between one or the other, id go flame. How are they're temperament?

hallzy

Oh, and also regarding the mandarin, should I start stocking my tank with live copepods and letting them multiply to speed up the process of when I can get a mandarin? I noticed the last time I was in my lfs that they carry them now so I thought about getting some, but I figured I would ask around on here first.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/389659/what-to-add#post_3445429
Oh, and also regarding the mandarin, should I start stocking my tank with live copepods and letting them multiply to speed up the process of when I can get a mandarin? I noticed the last time I was in my lfs that they carry them now so I thought about getting some, but I figured I would ask around on here first.
It wouldn't hurt to add copepods to the tank. I do that periodically for my mandarin that I trained to eat frozen. Be careful with what type that you add. Many LFS carry the tigger pods, which are a coldwater species and are doomed in our tanks. As far as the angels, IMO they aren't that aggressive and are known for sometimes pecking at corals. Usually when they peck at corals, they are just trying to munch on algae. I have a lemon peel in my tank and it is awesome. I=

btldreef

I definitely know what you mean about the cardinals, I say that about my PJ's.
3 firefish, a dwarf angel and a mandarin should be fine. I don't see any aggression issues with adding a flame or a coral beauty. I will say that IME, the flame is not quite as hardy. I've owned both, even had them together for quite some time in my 155. Both great fish. I sold my flame when I moved, and kept the CB. That poor CB has been through a lot with me, I couldn't part with it. If you do add a dwarf angel, add the firefish first to give them some time to find their territory since they're a little skiddish by nature.
Id stock the tank with pods. Can't hurt.

hallzy

Just figured I would give an update since its been awhile. I added 3 fish last night, 2 firefish, and a melanurus wrasse. I LOVE the wrasse. Since I just added them last night, and had to work shortly after, I havnt really been able to watch how they are co-existing together, but from all I've gathered thru researching, im not all that worried about them. Ill give an update (and maybe some pics as well) in a few days!

hallzy

Well I lost one of the firefish already. When I woke up today (which was around 2pm since I work nights) I found him half eaten right beside where one of my brittle stars likes to hang out. But the one that died was the same one that got his head stuck in a rock trying to escape from being caught when I got him. There was only 2 left when I got him so we watched him for about 5 mins and he seemed ok so I got him anyway. He must not have been ok. Not a huge loss tho since I got another, and they're not very expensive anyways.
The thing that sucked was there was no sign of the new wrasse anywhere. I kept an eye out fir a while, even tried looking down in the rock and such, and nothing, so I thought I lost him too because all I hear about these wrasses is how social they are and always out swimming. Then the wife and I went out to eat and when we got home I looked and saw him peeking out from a rock and starting to come out a lil. So he's just shy and taking a lil bit to acclimate. Good thing too, because I would have went out for another one. Just by his coloration alone he is becoming a favorite!