what to do about homicidale hermits?

lazarus

i just put in 10 turbo snails bought from this site....decent size, about a dime in diameter. no sooner do i dump them in (after acclimating of course) and the hermits swarm over them! these hermits are twice the size of the turbos. i heard hermits will kill snails to aquire their shells but this is alittle unfair! is this normal? is it a sign i have not put in enough empties for them? help or these turbos will become fast food fast!

sflasurfer

besides feeding the hermits you should also add some empty hermit crab shells. Sometimes they are just looking for a new home...............

lazarus

ok but i do have alot of empties in there...guess they are looking for something a little more upscale.
what about these vortex snails? i never had them before. can i bury them in the sand to give them a head start? do these critters burrow....or are they more the type to hang on glass? it seems they dont have a prayer against my crabs....

shrmnator

try feeding the crabs before adding the snails.. then they will have a chance to get a good foot on the glass and be less suseptible to attack..