What to do: Spraying For Termites

At the beginning of November we are about to go through a month long renovation process of our house. All the work is to be done upstairs and the tank is downstairs. However, one of the things we have to do is spray the house for termites. What should I do regarding the tank? Will that stuff kill my tank?

posiden

Are you talking about a tent job??? If so then you will have to remove the tank from the house. As far as I know, no one or nothing can be in there or go in there during the time the tent is on the house.
If they are going to drill the foundation and dig trenches then, I don't see a problem. The termiticide will be injected through the holes that they drill. No fumes, no mess, no odor.
Well maybe I shouldn't say no mess. Depending on your foundation, you will be moving everything away from the exterior walls.

I'm not sure about the process of spraying for termites but I've set off bug bombs before without any problems. I made sure to turn off the skimmer and cover the tank well with towels. The tank will be fine for several hours.

rlablan

I have never heard of "spraying" for termites. Most everything, atleast in AZ, is done externally for termites, including the drill and inject procedure.
I spray for bugs every month and it's just regular spray. I have never had issues. But this stuff is a spray and NOT a mist.
I would also suggest putting something like plastic cling wrap over the opening of the tank and the sump or anything exposed to air. Every one should be fine for a little while til everything settles in the air. The towels will just let it fall through to the tank and the water.
Thats all I got. Good luck and let us know. I am interested to know how it works out and what you find out about it.

theappe

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I think this is gonna be a service to some people. People always ask what to do and some people recommend to put a cover on the tank, but no one actually replies back if they did it or not and what success they had.
Well my house got tented for termites. They used Vikane. I covered the tank with a plastic painters tarp from the local hardware store and taped it around the base of the tank.
Important factors to consider:
1) There was no oxygen line running from the outside as some people have suggested
2) Tarp on tank was NOT super air tight, but i did my best.
3) I did not see my tank for like 17hrs, which I uncovered it afterwards.
4) 72gal reef tank and I only lost one fish.
Please feel free to ask me any questions as I feel that a lot of people would appreciate this information.