What to do when power goes out?

chad24

I am always worried that if the power goes out, and I am not home what will happen to my tank. In the past my power went out, water drained out of tank to a certain level, which made my sump over flow and I had to shut the power off to keep my pumps from pumping when the power came back on. But if I am not home and everything happens like I just stated and the POWER comes on, my pump will start back up,pump all the water in my sump back into the tank and run without any water in my sump area, where my pump is sumerged under water.See, I purchased this tank off another person and he set it all up and stated that I had to syphan (?) the water up through the clear drain tube thats inside the clear container (with grooves in it for water to flow out of the tank into a hose and into my sump area) hanging off the back of my tank to get it going. Is this the correct way to have it set up?
Do they have anything out on the market to keep your tank systems going if no power is on? What do you folks do when this happens? :thinking: Sorry for the long post but I really need to give you guys/gals all the info to give you a better understanding on what I have and how new this is to me, heck I cant even tell you the names of the peices on my tank.
Thanks Chad

joker_ca

look into getting a check valve it stops the water from syphoning out of the main tank and a air pump that turns on when the power goes off, but i had your same problem my sump overflowed and flooded upstairs straight down to the kitchen i was not happy about that

bigb

You need to set the overflow up to self start. Posting a pic of your overflow will give people an idea of what kind it is and how to help.
If your sump overflows when power is shut off you have two problems
1. the sump isn't big enough
2. too much water in entire system.- There is a certain water level your system will run at. You need to figure this out and mark a line on your sump. You only need enough water to make sure the pump isn't drawing air. Usually about 2-3 inches above inlet of pump. Then when you top off (with RO water) from evaporation you only need to add water til it gets to the line you marked. Now if you turn the pump off any water from the main tank will still be siphoning from the overflow until the water level falls below the overflow and siphon breaks. This water should fill the sump to a different level than the other line you marked. Its a good idea to mark this level too (max fill line). Then you will know that if you put more water in than this you will definately have a flood.
If, when you shut the pump off while running at your minimum water amount, your sump still overflows, it is not big enough and you will have a flood everytime power goes out.
If your overflow doesn't self start when power comes back on your main tank will flood.

chad24

Thanks Big B. You are exactly correct and I have done that and had no problem. I feel comfortable where I have my line. The real worry I have thou is if I am not home to shut off the power strips I have all my pumps plugged into and the power comes back on, the cycle will not continue due to my syphan is broken due to the water level in the tank dropping below the lip and all the water in my sump will be pushed back into the tank until my pump in my sump starts sucking air. I wish I could take a pic. I have a 1000 amiricle sump and its a 75gal. Is Teresa on the right track. Her response to my question sounds good but wonder how long it would help run the tank and its units. Thanks agian Chad

bigb

If the siphon breaks, battery back-up won't help. You need something to restart the siphon.
I have a cheap pump that will restart the siphon on my cpr overflow anytime the power goes out. It also keeps air from getting stuck in the overflow and breaking the siphon.

chad24

Could you tell me on how to go about doing this ? I have way to much $ wrapped up in my tank for this to happen ( with some of the pics I have seen on here mines not even close to $ compaired to others
) I am sure you have a idea on what part I am talking about. It hangs on the back ( one part in the water, other is outside the water) with a tube about the size of a quarter in diameter in the shape of a "u" carring water over to the outside of the container. Where would the pump go? What size of pump? I have a pretty good idea on what you are saying ,just want to make sure before I screw something up. Thanks agian Big B.
Thanks, Chad (Ohio)

sw65galma

Depending on what kind of over flow...If you don't have a CPR overflow, I recommend you get one with an aqualifter pump..mine can start and stop with power on and off like nothing...its awsome!!
Best thing since sliced bread!!!

bigb

Here is one option that may help. The pump would get attached to the airline. The aqualifter pump that sw65galma suggests runs about $12-15. Since you are in ohio you may want to check out saltycritter ( I never been there but dealt with them on phone and online- very helpful!) You may need to attach a pic of your set up so we can get a better idea on how to help.