What to do with an injured stray?

T

tizzo

No really. I am curious cause a while back I saw this cute little kitten fall out from under a persons car. My dog went over to check it out and it didn't run away so I knew it was injured. When I walked up to it, it still had blue eyes so I knew it was young. The kittens paw was completely ripped off and hanging there by a bit of skin. I took it to the nearest vets office and they said that since I didn't own it, they weren't gonna fix it. So then I took it to the humane society and asked them to "put it down", they said of course they were a no kill shelter. I told them I couldn't keep it and if I simply let him go he would probably die of infection a slow painful death anyway, but they didn't budge.
So I took him to a friend of mine who's a vet and as a favor to me, he fixed it. Well, as a favor to me and experiment for himself.
But that was in Charlotte, and I have no vet friends here, and I assume most people do not have vet friends. So, just because I'm curious, what would I do if something like that happened here??
Maybe animal control?? What would you do?

T

tizzo

That was not an option since I had 2 unruly "resue" boxers at the time. The killed my sons hampster that was in a cage, so I didn't trust them with a cat in the house.
The dogs ended up getting the cat anyway. I kept the cat in a dog cage, in my closet that was off of my bathroom.
My bedroom door was shut, the bathroom door was shut, and the closet door was shut.
The dogs got to the cat anyway.

But I was really wondering what one does with an injured animal that does not belong to them.

shogun323

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2534895
No really. I am curious cause a while back I saw this cute little kitten fall out from under a persons car. My dog went over to check it out and it didn't run away so I knew it was injured. When I walked up to it, it still had blue eyes so I knew it was young. The kittens paw was completely ripped off and hanging there by a bit of skin. I took it to the nearest vets office and they said that since I didn't own it, they weren't gonna fix it. So then I took it to the humane society and asked them to "put it down", they said of course they were a no kill shelter. I told them I couldn't keep it and if I simply let him go he would probably die of infection a slow painful death anyway, but they didn't budge.
So I took him to a friend of mine who's a vet and as a favor to me, he fixed it. Well, as a favor to me and experiment for himself.
But that was in Charlotte, and I have no vet friends here, and I assume most people do not have vet friends. So, just because I'm curious, what would I do if something like that happened here??
Maybe animal control?? What would you do?
I actually have a friend the runs a vet clinic on Tarpon ave near Odessa. I have this thing where I always find stray cats and then find them homes. They always seem to find me.
I had a situation a few years back when my old cat Chuck swallowed a doorstop. It was causing blockage and he needed an operation. The operation was to cost $1100 and at the time, I had 0$. The vet offered to do the surgery after hours on his on time for $500 and even worked out payment plans. So he operated and saved chucks life. What a great cat.

nyyankeees

Is there an SPCA near by, they always fix all the injured animals on "Animal Cops" or are there any privately own shelters nearby they may have some good advice. I'm not a cat lover but don't like to see any animal suffer.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by NYyankeees
http:///forum/post/2535124
I'm not a cat lover but don't like to see any animal suffer.
I hate cats, but that little kitten was so helpless.
I thought about an ASPCA, but I didn't think Charlotte had any.
And Shogun, If Tarpon Ave is anywhere near me, I'll use that vet. I like it when they are in it for more than just the money. I mean, I know that's a big part, but good money should be a result not a goal.

sepulatian

My sister found a baby kitten on her way home from work. She saw it after she passed it and went back. In our area of NY there is no place to take an animal like that. She called the vet and her town's ASPCA. The kitten was badly dehydrated. She was told by both that she would have to assume responsibility for the animal and pay it's vet bills. She tried very hard to help this kitten live. She bought kitten formula and kitten baby bottles. The kitten didn't make it and my sister felt like she had done something wrong! Who knows how long the kitten was away from it's mother, it couldn't get medical help, I think my sister did all that she could. It is what I would have done.

sepulatian

I hate cats
Now how can you say that? Look at my snuggle kitties
Yeah, the one that is black and white is a beast!! He is the brattiest kitty I ever have seen. His name is Kane, but he knows his name As , "KANE NO!!!!!"

S

scorpiojkd

Our animal services picks up injured animals all the time. Call your local animal services, they usually will take the injured animal to the nearest emergency vet. If they are fixable, ours will hold them for adoption. All my animals are adopted including two of my dogs from our Animal Services.

keri

Your "no-kill" shelter was very irresponsible for turning you away like that - at the very least they should have directed you where to go, do you have an SPCA there?
I work in a vet clinic and we would never turn away an animal that had a limb hanging. We are lucky to have MANY shelters in our area that would take it in and fix it and even if they were unable, it's likely that we would take it on ourselves, a young, otherwise adoptable animal shouldn't have to be put down for a limb amputation. (If there were other, more permanant injuries it might be another story - we wouldn't want it to suffer) I know it's a business but things happen.
I have my dog because she came in quite broken as a puppy.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/2535685
Your "no-kill" shelter was very irresponsible for turning you away like that - at the very least they should have directed you where to go, do you have an SPCA there?
I work in a vet clinic and we would never turn away an animal that had a limb hanging. We are lucky to have MANY shelters in our area that would take it in and fix it and even if they were unable, it's likely that we would take it on ourselves, a young, otherwise adoptable animal shouldn't have to be put down for a limb amputation. (If there were other, more permanant injuries it might be another story - we wouldn't want it to suffer) I know it's a business but things happen.
I have my dog because she came in quite broken as a puppy.
That is awesome that you all do that! We do not have services like that here. It is extremely unfortunate.

al mc

I know of very few vets and their staff members who do not have at least one animal with a permanent disability in their homes that started out as a stray that came into their office. I believe the original poster ran into a regrettable, but hopefully rare, situation where the vet or local 'no kill' shelter were not helpful. If they did not want to treat for either money or legal reasons then they should have pointed you to a local SPCA/ASCPA that could have helped. "Animal control" resposibility is usually handled by State governments who pay local SPCAs to have animal control agents (the old term was 'dog cathers) that are charged with responding to these situations.
In my area we are also lucky to have many other humane organizations...Friends of Animals, Forgotten Pets, etc. that help care for strays...both physically and financially.

cpg

Try and look for a local no kill shelter, becuase I am 99.9% sure they will help you. I have a client who runs one, and they NEVER turn down a chance to help an animal..