What to do with extra tank ?

bevo77

Hello,
This is my first post. I have been following this forum for a while as I am just getting my feet wet (No pun intended) in this crazy hobby.
I had an old 55 gal tank and stand I was going to use to start, but a 75 gal Oceanic and stand caught my eye instead. At present, I am cycling my new tank and have the old 55 in the garage.
What should I do with it ? I am too busy with starting the 75 that I would not even consider trying to start 2 at the same time. I have thoght about the following uses:
1) Use the tank to cure live rock for the main tank.
2) Use it for a quarintine tank.
3) Use it for processing water for water changes.
Please advise. Remember , I am new, so no wisecracks this time around.
Thanks,
Bevo77

O.K. you cant get off that easy!!!
What are your plans - What type filtration do you have ? - Lights ? are you going with DSB ?
To answer your question- If the old tank ever had any chemicals in it or if you dont know if it has I would not use it for water mixing or to cure rock !!! Not worth the possible contamination!!
I think it would probably be to big for a Q-tank
But you could buy a piece of glass that would divide it in two - silicone it in and have two separate Q-tanks Then you could buy a new fish every two weeks and still Q-teen your fish for four weeks each!!!!
BTW- welcome aboard!!! :)

von_rahvin

welcome to the board and i think that it is a great idea to set up 2 q tanks out of one. I honestly never thought about it. but that is a great idea.

sylock

You could turn the 55 into a nice sump/refugium. That's actually what I would do. Use a 20 or 29 gallon for a Q-tank. You don't need much for that. The 55 could hold a nice refugium and all your heating/filtering needs. This could increase your water by another 30 or so gallons, thus making your system that much more stable.

krusk

if you don't want to use it as a sump
sell it for some extra cash spend on better skimmer and stock

ren

I'd deffin go with the refugium. Lol i was going to post that but got beat to it! Someone had a post here with pic's of a 55 sectioned in 3rds and used as a refugium I believe. Awesome setup!

bevo77

Thanks to all who replied. It is nice to find a forum where you can post a question and receive serious answers, a little humor, and none of the usual internet pranks.
Thanks for the warm welocme and I look forward to being part of this community as I am really getting hooked on this stuff.
Regards,
Bevo77

cyn

Welcome Bevo! I was going to post in favor of the refugium too but was beat to it. I currently have a 55 gal set up and another in the garage too. Wish I would have started with a 75 gal. but oh welll... I love my tank and this BB. I stumbled across SWF about a 2 months into the hobby and have been here ever since.
I noticed you are in houston, would love to see it when you get going!
Best of luck and look forward to offering you help when I can!
cyn