What to do with live rock

cloienc27

I want to take out several pieces of the live rock in my tank. They have been in there for about 4years now. I bought some mushrooms from the lfs about 7 mos ago and apparently it had some apstasia seeds on it. I have been battling these pest now for too long! There is a couple pieces of rock that are completely covered!! If I take these rocks out, what do I do with them to kill off the apstasia? I have plenty of other rock in the tank so I don't have to put those rocks back in there.

flower

Originally Posted by cloienc27
http:///forum/post/3129088
I want to take out several pieces of the live rock in my tank. They have been in there for about 4years now. I bought some mushrooms from the lfs about 7 mos ago and apparently it had some apstasia seeds on it. I have been battling these pest now for too long! There is a couple pieces of rock that are completely covered!! If I take these rocks out, what do I do with them to kill off the apstasia? I have plenty of other rock in the tank so I don't have to put those rocks back in there.
Soak it in freshwater for a few days...the entire rock will be dead...it can be reseeded with the live rock alraedy in the tank.

cdposey26

get some berghia nudibranches or peppermint shrimp. If the aptasia are still pretty small these guys should wipe them out. You can also try copperbanded butterfly fish, I have heard they eat them too.

M

marine bio 101

Use Joe's Juice to kill them off. That is what I did and worked great.

bmkj02

I used a combination of peppermint shrimps and Joe's Juice. I had an infestation of them and it cleared them up in a jiffy.

rf_rookie

Hi all! I have the same problem too, where can I get the joe's juice? I habve 3 pepermint shrimps in there now. BTW my tank is 58g

flower

Originally Posted by RF_rookie
http:///forum/post/3131140
Hi all! I have the same problem too, where can I get the joe's juice? I habve 3 pepermint shrimps in there now. BTW my tank is 58g

The only place to get Joe's juice is online...just google it...Aiptasia X from LFS works the same. $17.00 a bottle here by me. joe's juice is cheaper..but then you pay shipping..

rf_rookie

Thank you Flower! I got it from Amazon that Joe's juice + feeding bottle with S/H is about $17. Hope it works! cross my fingers!

this might be overkill buuuuuuuuuuuuttt.....get a 5gal bucket, fill it up with boiling saltwater and thoroughly add a whole bottle of Joe's juice then toss in some rock. If it's not dead.....nuke it, or stick it in the microwave...lol Or do what everyone else said.

truperc

FWIW - I bought a tank off someone else that had aiptasia everywhere.
I bought Aiptasia - X and killed 90 % of them in about 2 hours.
60 gallon tank with about 50 - 60 lbs of rock for reference
Over the next week or so, I killed about 98% of them.
I battled with the last 2 % for about the next 4 months, but have not seen one for several months now.
I tried the peppermint shrimp, and they did not work for me.
For some they do, but it is hit or miss.