What to do with my Eclipse 6?

elmonodelmar

I just recently purchased an Eclipse 6, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I've already got a 20g nano reef that I started 6 months ago, and it's progressing nicely. I bought the 6 gallon as something that I could take to college so that I wouldn't have to drop the salt water hobby altogether.
I really don't know what I want to do with this Eclipse once it finishes cycling. I've had a few ideas:
Seahorses?
I know I'd have to go with dwarf horses for a 6 gallon. The only problem is, I'm afraid they'll be too hard to see in the cualerpa forests and that they might get sucked into the filter.
Black Clown with anemone?
I thought this idea would be cool because I just like clowns and the black ones especially rock. After I thought about it for a while, I don't think I could live with myself after forcing such an awesome animal to only exist in 6 gallons of water.
Nano reef?
I think this would be way too similar to my 20 gallon, minus the fish. I love my 20 to death, but I think a reef without the fish might be a little lacking.
I guess I really just don't know what to do. If anyone has any other ideas, please post here. I'd love to hear suggestions of great ways I could use my 6 gal. Thanks to the forum in advance for all of the help.

elmonodelmar

What kinds of really cool inverts and crabs are out there? I haven't really seen any super colorful inverts since I've been in the reef hobby.
How about making it some sort of species only tank? I know it would need to be some sort of small, perhaps an agressive invert or something of the like.
If I start to dislike my fingers I could get a Mantis Shrimp!

elmonodelmar

Someone on another forum mentioned a mated pair of Harlequin Shrimp feasting on a starfish. My only problem with that is I don't know if I could sit there and watch a starfish getting slowly eaten to death. I would think that would have to hurt like no other.

jb clown

elmono maby you could just put your 6 gallon inside your 20 gal...Is it the same hight? and then just have like some starfish inside and some sponges....
I don't, maby, wild thinking :thinking: :jumping:

jasontk

If you want a cool crab for a 6 gallon tank, and your not going to have a ton of rock, I would suggest a porcelain crab. They are really cool to watch and they feed on plankton. If you have a lot of rock for it to hid in you probably won't see it much though.

elmonodelmar

Well I've decided to go with a lot of shrimp and stuff. Maybe I'll move some small coral frags from my 20 later on.
In there right now I've got:
1 Anemone Crab
1 HUGE Emerald Crab (I love this guy. So much personality)
1 Condylactis Anemone
1 Sexy Shrimp (He just hangs out in the condy)
1 Turbo Snail
6 Blue Leg Hermits
And for the next week I'm going to have one of my percula clowns in there. I know the tank is too small for him, but he keeps bullying his mate and is stressing out my fish in my other tank. I'm going to try to put the perc back in my big tank once my other fish have time for their fins to heal. If he continues to bully them, then the 6 gallon will be his new home. I'll probably try to find him a host anemone if he has to spend the rest of his life in the 6 gallon prison.

bona42na

What about a Mantis shrimp? Ive caught that bug and have placed my order fpr a Nanocube to house one.

elmonodelmar

I thought about a mantis, but not for long. I think it's a little too strange to have something that dangerous in the tank.