what to do....

ktbug

After reading about saltwater tanks all day, I have no idea what to do or even where to start. Would it be better to start out with freshwater tanks first, I haven't ever had an aquarium, just a few goldfish here and there. Does anyone know if Freshwater is easier than saltwater?
Anything would be helpful right now, I'm lost as to what to do.
thanks!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ktbug
After reading about saltwater tanks all day, I have no idea what to do or even where to start. Would it be better to start out with freshwater tanks first, I haven't ever had an aquarium, just a few goldfish here and there. Does anyone know if Freshwater is easier than saltwater?
Anything would be helpful right now, I'm lost as to what to do.
thanks!
Freshwater is easier then saltwater!!! Best to start there....But start reading and researching on saltwater then you can set one up. :happyfish

lion_crazz

Freshwater is certainly easier. It is a whole lot cheaper, and there is a lot more room for error. While you are doing freshwater though, pick up a few saltwater books and research while you are doing it.

bocfuss

I didn't start with a freshwater tank, I started with a saltwater tank 2 months ago, I don't know hardly anything yet, but I know I love saltwater tanks. The only thing you really need to know is....GO SLOW....like the saying goes measure twice, cut once. Go SLow.. I started with a 30 gallon tank with 40 lbs live sand and 30 lbs live rock. Thats the other thing I would suggest.

ktbug

thanks for the replies! I picked up 2 books from the library about fresh and salt water tanks, so I can learn about both, I think I'm going to start out with fresh, then get a salt. I'd like to have both if my parents allow it. They think we have too many pets already, I was surprised they are allowing me to get a salt water tank.
thanks again

tx reef

Saltwater tanks are not difficult in my opinion.
If you research and have patience then everything will be fine.
If you're worried, then start out with a fish only tank and then move on to a reef tank if that is what you want.
I had a freshwater setup for about 2 weeks before I took all the fish back and started my 55 gallon reef.
I say go for it.

finchfishs

IMO your best bet is get grab a few books, and read them. Next get your yellow pages or w/e and search for as many fish stores in your area. Go visit them, ask questions, get prices. Pick the store in which you think actually cared more about you liking your fish rather than making them rich. Then just ask questions there / read / ask questions here and your ready to roll. My suggestion is you go for saltwater first if you want salt later on...saltwater fish are a lot cooler looking, but it also gets expensive. Fish keeping is a ton of fun, welcome to it, and hope you have success :)

mrdc

I've had freshwater tanks most of my life and I got my first salt 9 months ago. It's more expensive but I can't say it's more difficult yet. The reason is I spend a lot of time on the saltwater because I am afraid things will go bad. And things still do that are out of my hands. So right now I say it's much more time consuming for me. I won't say harder yet because I am comparing 9 months salt versus "many" years fresh. Right now you have made a great start...coming to these boards. Getting books will be great too. No such thing as too much research before you start. I came to these boards and got books after the fact and relied on my LFS....big mistake. Now there are great LFS stored out there so I am not bashing them all just the one I got my stuff from. They have gone out of business if that tells you something. If I could go back, I would make a list of everything (equipment first) of what I would plan to buy. I would then research everything on the list starting by posting here to receive some great feedback. Good luck and let's us know how things go.

ophiura

IMO, there is very little benefit in starting with FW, because the equipment used is not always something that switches over. So you are spending money on equipment that may not be what you want for a saltwater tank.
I would be real patient, I would read and research a lot, but otherwise I see no benefit from starting FW, or harm in starting with SW.
If you are not patient, well, you will get away with it in FW, IMO...so it is not necessarily a reflection of how much of a success you will be with SW.
JMO tho

ktbug

Thanks for the replies, ya'll have helped me realize that it would be a waste of my money, because what I want most is SW. Things are starting to make sense about what I will need and not need for my tank, and it is starting to not seem as overwhelming. Thanks for the advice and encouragement, it helped alot!

crackers

I can't keep a freashwater to save my life...... I am however having great sucess with my salty..... i guess I need a challange?

flighter x

Same i screwed up on freshwater big time, had all right equipment, fiish just died of ick and spread through out whole tank,
ive now kinda rushed into my sw tank, and its set up the most newbish way ever, but after day 2, they still alive and swimming fine, but tht doesnt mean tommorow they will still be there, i didnt research and if i lose these fish, i lost money, i shoulda researched, research on the test kits, biocycle and stuff like tht, wat fish u are going to get and small things like tht, which can save u lots of money. my LFS kinda just want my money.

ktbug

thanks for the replies ya'll! The more I've been reading and looking at different things, I would rather get like a 55g instead of a 20g. I want the tank on the second story of my house but is it going to weigh too much with the tank size, stand, live rock, etc.?
sorry about all the questions, i've never done something like this...
katie

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ktbug
thanks for the replies ya'll! The more I've been reading and looking at different things, I would rather get like a 55g instead of a 20g. I want the tank on the second story of my house but is it going to weigh too much with the tank size, stand, live rock, etc.?
sorry about all the questions, i've never done something like this...
katie
55 would work just fine, it won't be too heavy for your floor to handle. :happyfish