what to do?

jill

I have a 65 gal. reef aquarium. I did water tests yesterday and got an alkalinity level of 4.5 and a calcium level of 360. I have been putting in BIONIC calcium buffer/builder every day (13ml) and carbonate builder twice a week. How do I raise my calcium level and lower my alkalinity level? (also, the BIONIC has raised my SG to 1.023)
I currently have about 100 lbs live rock, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 corals, 2 clown fish, 1 mandarin goby, and many snails/crabs :confused:

bobber

There is nothing wrong with those readings. Although, I doubt that the Bionic has raised your salinity. Your salinity raising would be from water evaporation. How often do you top off the tank? When you do a water change, are you matching the salinity exactly? This could cause your salinity to fluctuate. Anyway, if you want to raise your calcium level, add Liquid Calcium by Kent. The twoparter that you are using is working fine, though. If you lower your alkalinity, you will run the risk of an unstable pH. Leave it. HTH--Bob

burnnspy

I recommend using Kent Marine Turbo Calcium to boost the calcium to 400ppm, then the 2 part should keep it there if dosed right.
BurnNSpy

kingbrd1

The other thing is test for magnesium. I asked the same thing of my lfs and they tested for Mg. Found it to be low (1150or so) added Mg, it's upwards of 1300-1400 now, and my calcium and alkality came up after a week or 2. I was nearly in the same boat as you but had steady calcium and skyrocketing Alkalinity. Magnesium for some reason has a part in the chemical balance of calcium. Hope this helps.
King

ironreef

Bionic can raise salinity per the bottle. I agree just use some turbo untill you get you cal right or up. But don't be a # chaser kits can be 40=/- off if your corals look good don't worry so much