what to feed a camel shrimp

debbie

Just wanting to know what you all feed your shrimps? I have not been feeding mine and it seems to pick up pieces of food that are in the tank when I feed. It will scoop up brine shrimp, krill etc when I feed it but I don't want it to bother any of my corals if it is hungry.
All help greatly appreciated.....:jumping:

jasontk

I would suggest getting that thing out of there! It tore my brain down to almost nothing but skeleton and it took me months and months before I ever got it out. I fed it shrimp in the meantime, usually using the shrimp pieces to lure him out so I could try and nab him with a net. That little cannibal...

rwhite

Our shrimp eat anything and everything. When we had camelbacks, we didnt have many corals to speak of other than some button polyps and shrooms and they didnt bother those, so I cant say about other corals. Best advice I can give is to be sure it gets a chunk of shrimp or whatever when feeding. I have found that a turkey baster is ideal. Once the shrimp gets used to it and recognizes it as a food source, they will come to it and pick the food right out of the opening. All of our fish and shrimp love the baster. And, just so you know, when we feed our bubble, our 2 cleaners and CBS always try to steal the food, so I have to do this all the time. Good luck with your shrimp. HTH.

smoothounds

My camel shrimp ate my brain and my candycanes. Instead of feeding them, I decided to feed them to my friends mantis shrimp

clarkiiboi

I never had camels, but have cleaners. As for friend or foe of a reef, I am not sure. You could try to make sure you spot feed them first with a substantial size of food (not brine size), 2-4 times a week, the other days let them scavange. The days you feed them, feed your corals any meaty food you need, they will be preoccupied and not bother the corals (at least in my case). I feed mine siversides (with tongs) that I have left over from a returned eel (newbie mistake). HTH

debbie

Thanks for the replies. I have not seen him ever picking at my corals and actually eating them. I am a stay at home mom so I am always around my tank.
My xenia problem was due to light I am sure now. Since I have moved it I have noticed the trunk getting alot fuller looking and it is pulsing alot more. Catching bits of food in the water etc. It must not have been getting enough light sitting on the bottom where I first put it.
As for the shrimp thing again, I would love to get another shrimp for my tank. I find these guys to be so neat to watch. I love my camel shrimp and because he has done no harm I would like to know what other type(s) of shrimp I can put with him safely?
Debbie