what to feed a new tiny lionfish ?

bullitr

i just got the tiny lionfish today . and i don't know what to feed it because its so tiny 1.5 " and there's no chance that i will find a live shimp. i had a 6 " lion before that became 12" when i sold it to my boss. at first i feed it live goldfish for a day or so to entice to eat then i train it to eat sliversides. now i don't know what to feed these tiny fuzzy lion. any suggestion

v-lioness

Try frozen sand eels, they are usually much smaller than silversides, chunks of raw shrimp, scallop pieces, frozen mysis and so on...... With a lion that small I would feed daily right now, as the lion matures than you can change the diet and feed every other day, as an adult feed every 2-3 days.
If you want to try live shrimp, use ghost shrimp but feed them something nutritional before feeding them to the lion.
Kaye

craig_08

Try plankton soaked in garlic. I got a baby lionfish a few weeks ago about the size of yours. He didn't want to eat the mysis I was feeding him. When I soaked some plankton in a few drops of garlic he went nuts and eats it like a pig.

gman08016

I'am no expert but i was always told goldfish are not really good for there digestive systems.Also it balloons them up and makes them look healthy but strains them.I feed mine all frozen food and ghost shrimp.Try brine shrimp they seem to like it.

bullitr

i still can't make the lion fish eat ... i tried all the things that i did on my previous lion but that was a lot larger than this one. i will try to find a live feeder mysids shimp in l.a. hmmmmmmmmm.

bullitr

so.. it only eat ghost shimp i tried to feed it with sliver fish a lot smaller than sliversides. and still won't eat it . it should be hungry right now last time it ate was 4 days ago. its hard to trained this tiny lion. any suggestion?

chellie4u2

What would be nutritional to feed to ghost shrimp?? I also have a fuzzy dwarf and a dwarf zebra.. I am able to get the fuzzy to eat but the zebra is MIA

Originally Posted by bullitr
so.. it only eat ghost shimp i tried to feed it with sliver fish a lot smaller than sliversides. and still won't eat it . it should be hungry right now last time it ate was 4 days ago. its hard to trained this tiny lion. any suggestion?
Interesting. I guess I am not the only one who is having a hard time getting their lionfish to eat.
About the garlic soaking thing... Do you just buy garlic from the grocery store??? I haven't seen anything like garlic at the fish store...

laurie01

Originally Posted by porthosandjazz
About the garlic soaking thing... Do you just buy garlic from the grocery store??? I haven't seen anything like garlic at the fish store...
Yes, buy garlic from the grocery store. Search these forums for garlic; there have been lots of threads on how to soak foods in fresh garlic.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Chellie4u2
What would be nutritional to feed to ghost shrimp?? I also have a fuzzy dwarf and a dwarf zebra.. I am able to get the fuzzy to eat but the zebra is MIA

YOu can "gut load" these even by feeding a high quality flake food or similar.

stingrayman

my lion didn`t eat at first either. I put krill in with ghost shrimp and it just started eating the krill also.then I started putting sand eels in and it ate those too.

mx#28

Originally Posted by ophiura
YOu can "gut load" these even by feeding a high quality flake food or similar.
Indeed. I’ve always used Formula One or any other high-fat, vitamin enriched food. It's easy and seems to work well.