What to feed Hammer Coral

lerch

I just bought a small hammer coral the other day and I want to know what and how to feed it. Any suggestions will be greatly apprecitated.

hammers and any other hard coral will feed off of the light, but make sure you are dosing your tank with some kind of calcium supplement.

There are several products out there for feeding your corals. The supplements can be found at almost any mailorder aqua supply and at most lfs that sell reef critters. Light is a great way to feed some of your corals, but I would also recommend adding a food suppliment.

lerch

I already add in Phytoplex, but what I was wondering is if I should feed him chopped shrimp or silversides or something like that. If I should then how, I cant find a mouth on these suckers. :D :D :D :D

holacanthus

Small chopped shrimp or small pieces of silversides would work, just place them on the polyps and the coral will do the rest! Good invert keeping ;)

nm reef

Lerch....I may be wrong but you've asked this question previously about a few other corals???
Same answer here...Adaquate lighting to meet the requirements of the coral in question...same on current...
Personally I use dt's phytoplankton on a regular basis
several corals get food from the current/water column when I feed my fish...but maybe twice a week I will direct feed several corals(including a large hammer) with an assortment of thawed frozen foods...normally soaked in zoe.
For the hammer in particular it does not seem to require direct feeding as much as other corals...but I do try to spray some of the more liquid of the food mixture directly on its tentacles....it seems to like it....and is doing very well.

reeferx

I never fed my hammer anything other than the ocassional dose of Strontium and Iodine. That with the halide, current, and being near the top made the thing get really large.

jacksonpt

For what it's worth... my old hammer coral would never take any of my direct feedings. You can try some meaty foods, but your best bet is good, strong light.