What to get (and do) next?

dacia

I am really loving my tank so far! I set it up about a month ago and it is doing great. It's a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump/fuge. I had the water circulating with the live rock for about a week before putting anything into it.
Right now I have a large black & white perc that has been there for 2 weeks. I also have a powder brown tang whcih I introduced a week ago. They get along great, and the tang is a voracious eater.
I have to place food on both sides of the tank so the 2 fish don't go after the same pieces of food! It's funny to watch, though.
I wanted to go slow with the CUC, because I have a feeling that my DSB in the 55 crashed because the CUC was too large. So I started out getting just 2 Turbo snails a couple of weeks ago when I got the clownfish. They went to town on the rocks and are still doing pretty good.
I also bought some corals which are doing beautifully. I bought a colt coral, yellow polyps, yellow leather, and a carnation coral...the carnation is fully opened now, and it even looks better than when I purchased it (he was a new arrival at the store and didn't have much time in their tank, so it didn't open up all the way there). The carnation is 2 weeks old and others are 1 week. I am extremely pleased with how great they look! I plan on posting pictures soon.

The water params were never high or out of control. The live rock was previously in my 55 gallon tank, so when I moved it into the 75 there was already a fair bit of coralline algae growth along with some other things like feather dusters and sponges. I also have some purple mushrooms on one of the pieces of rock which are now at least double the size they were just last week. I would normally wait at least a month before stocking a new tank, but I tested the water and noticed that the cycle was going pretty quickly...and I attribute this to the "used" live rock with all the organisms already present on it, and the fact that I scrubbed the crap out of it and let it soak in a dark rubbermaid tub for a week before adding it to the new tank (I was trying to start my 75 completely new).
Today I noticed diatoms had formed literally overnight on some of the rocks, part of the substrate, and part of the tank wall. I examined the rocks and found that this was the ONLY noticable algae. I had a problem with green bubble algae in the 55, but after scrubbing the rock and killing it off in the dark rubbermaid tub, I haven't seen any of that mess. I also don't see any hair algae forming. So, once again, I believe the tank is progressing nicely for being as new as it is. Everything looks great and appears to be healthy...I just hope the tang slows his eating down because he's gonna eat a hole through my wallet, haha!
Yes, I do have questions...

As I said before, I think my problems in the 55 were mainly caused by a too large CUC. I think that when the snails, hermits, etc. started dying off, the water params were out of control and even frequent (weekly and sometimes even twice a week) 25-50% water changes didn't really help. Sure, it would help for a couple of days, but it was seriously hard to keep up with it. I had hair algae, bubble algae, brown algae (looked like diatoms, but the tank was 5 years old?), and even some (yuck) red algae that looked like bubble algae. It overtook the tank FAST, and it was very hard to keep yanking all the nastiness out everyday. Even a couple of my corals died. es/crybaby.gif" border="0" alt="" title="cry" class="inlineimg" />
I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!
So...
Should I get anything to add to my CUC now that the diatoms are showing up, or just let my 2 Turbos attempt to eat everything in sight? I am really wary of crabs, even hermits, because of the chance that they might nip the corals...or the hermits attack the snails for their shells. I have crushed coral substrate this time around, so sand sifters wouldn't do me much good.
How much longer would you wait before getting more corals and fish? I want to get a few more fish and various corals to finish out the tank eventually. I would love to get an anemone, but will probably skip it since they are hard to care for...and I don't want my clown to get territorial anyway since he is getting along with the tang so great right now.
Should I start the weekly water changes now since it appears the cycle is coming to a close? I think that this will lower the silicates and nitrates slowing algal growth, and I really can't think of much else that will do that. I was thinking of getting one of those nitrate sponges to run in my filter, but how well do they work? Are they a waste of money? Also, I am going to start tossing some macros into the fuge soon. What are the best ones to get? And should I use just a regular flourescent light over the sump/fuge for them?
Thanks for the help. I will hopefully get some pictures up pretty soon, too!

dacia

Here is a picture of the whole tank that I took earlier today:

And this one is a pretty decent shot of both of the fish:

And the last one just shows a couple of the new corals:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

markw

I love the yellow leather and carnation. Looks great. I see the diatoms, too.
Looking good.

Mark

dacia

Thanks for the clarification on the fish. I knew that it was different from other B&Ws that I had seen, but the LFS just had it labeled the same. I bought it because of the splashes of yellow on him, and because all the orange percs they had were tiny...I have a 75, so I want to get fish with a little size to them.

beaslbob

I would not get the nitrate sponge but rather let the refugium macro algae (if any) expand until nitrates are 0. and hopefully a little later phosphates.
the add some more fish and corals.
Glad things are going well for you.
my .02

swimmer4uus

Yeah. Let the tank mature a little bit. They should come down a little naturally.
The B&W Saddleback is an awesome clownfish. I had one before I moved. The tank looks good. Maybe paint the back of the glass, or put something behind the tank that's solid in color to get a little more definition. I think you'd like it better

dacia

Sadly my LFS doesn't sell macros. Found that out recently. I will place an order for a couple handfuls today, though, and put them in my refugium this weekend. I will skip the sponge, too. I have never used one before, but if the macros will take care of the nitrates, then that's what I will get.
Yeah, I was going to get a background for the tank. I have the tank in my livingroom, and I just recently painted the room light pastel green...and occasionally when I look in the tank, the green from the walls makes the tank water appear that way. When I test the water and view it from up close, I can tell that the water is NOT green. When my 55 was in my bedroom where the walls are blue, I didn't have a background because the walls made it look like sea blue. The overflow of the tank...and the stand and even the light fixture...is black. I am going to get a black background so the overflow does not "stick out." I really love blue backgrounds, but that would just make the overflow too visible for me. I will go to the LFS and get a background tomorrow as well as some food for my freshwater fish since they ran out today.
I was planning on buying my fish from this website later on down the road instead of making a trip to the LFS when they may or may not have what I am looking for. In the future, I was planning on adding these:
CORALS---
Green Closed Brain
Bubble (I like green, but pearl is pretty too)
Branching Hammer
Plate (either short tentacle or neon green)
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Clove Polyps
Zoos (I really like pink ones, but any brightly colored ones will suit me)
FISH---
Swallowtail Angel (I miss the one in my avatar picture...I had her years ago but she didn't make it when I moved into my new house 5 years ago)
Royal Gramma
3 Green Chromis
2 Firefish Gobies
Sixline Wrasse
What do you think of those lists? Will those fish get along with the Saddleback Clown and the Powder Brown Tang (as well as each other)? I hope I haven't picked out too many corals, but I really want a lot of diversity and color when the tank is fully stocked and mature. My fixture has 6 bulbs, 65W each...4 10,000k white and 2 actinic...so I believe that should be enough light for those corals.
I plan on starting weekly water changes this weekend. How much should I change each week? I have heard some people do 10% and others do 25%. So should I do about 8 gallons or 20 gallons?
Thank you guys so much for your help! I want to do this tank right, and I hope that I have more success with this one than I had previously. I mean, my 30 gallon was gorgeous for years, so was my 55...but then all of a sudden the DSB crashed and EEK!!! So I am trying to be as careful as possible this time around.
Oh! And when do you suggest I add to my CUC? I only have 2 turbos right now. Thanks again!

Just a couple quick thoughts.....
Skip the plate coral, they have horrible, horrible survival rates in our tanks. I have seen some that have them and I think the short tentacled is a little easier but still they don't do good usually.
Have you had xenia before? Alot of people love it and alot of people hate it. They can over take a tank very quickly and be very hard to trim back. Just something to think about but they are pretty.
I think your stocklist looks pretty good except...................................your tang. He might be OK for awhile but he will outgrow that tank. Even while he is smaller that is not a lot of swimming room for him IMO. Maybe you could try a Kole tang. But your powder might do well, some people do it. I think this would pretty much be your limit of fish depending on filtration, but you could through in a bottom dwelling goby.

dacia

Thanks for the warning about the plate coral. I certainly don't want to get a coral that won't make is since they are so pricey.

I've never had xenia before, but in my 30 gallon tank I had anthelia. I was told that they were similar, but if the xenia grow too ungodly fast I won't like that too much. So I marked those off the list, too.

I was concidering getting a bottom dweller, but I hadn't decided on which one. I really like the mandarin, but I don't think my tank would be able to support one without the sandbed. Perhaps a lawnmower blenny?
Thanks for the input. I will start out with weekly 8 gallon water changes (10%) this weekend.

The mandarin needs a very established tank with alot of work and usually a refugium. They only eat pods and need a ton. I wouldn't do that for a long time if at all.
The lawnmower might be a good fit since your live rock is established, but wait for some other opinions on that.

dacia

When I start to do the water changes this weekend, would it be a good idea or a bad idea to siphon the water from the crushed coral so that I can remove some of the diatoms that are living there?

teresaq

why crushed coral instead of sand. You will have to vacume the cc to keep it clean. you cant have any sand sifting snails or fish.

dacia

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3231786
why crushed coral instead of sand. You will have to vacume the cc to keep it clean. you cant have any sand sifting snails or fish.
Because I had sandbeds to crash in both my 5 year old 55 gallon tank and my 3 year old 30 gallon tank causing fish, corals, and everything else to die off. Everything fine, then poof. I'm not going through that again.
I don't mind vaccuuming the cc because I have over a decade experience doing that with goldfish and tropical FW tanks. I'm used to it, and have gotten good at it. In my previous sandbeds, it was difficult to get some crud off of them if the sifters, fish, etc. didn't eat it without disturbing the LS.