What to put rock on?

hatessushi

f14peter wrote;
I'll just take a WAG and say that if you do introduce burrowing critters, then one may want to compensate for the support structure by slightly increasing the depth of the sand. Seems like as long as there's enough sand (Depth-wise), they should be happy. Even without anything under the sand, if they dig deep enough, they'd eventually run into the bottom of the tank anyway.
I can tell you from my experience that if you do introduce sand dwellers that dig tunnels and that if it happens to be a diamond goby then it won't matter how much sand you put in there he will dig it away from the rock. They do that to find cave structure under the rock. That way the bottom of the rock is the ceiling of his tunnel since sand tunnels have a way of caving in.

reefrank

Originally Posted by renogaw
yea, its fine until you get your first burrowing fish/shrimp. then, as the sand gets pushed out from under the rock cause this animal wants a home your aquascape gets compromised, and youf animal gets squished. oh, not to mention the rock can fall and break your tank. but that isnt an issue out in the ocean.
I thought a few times about replying to your post, and decided yea, I better. Mainly because of your sarcastic attitude.
First off, I am trying to help the guy from tearing down his tank unnecessarily. I have been in the hobby for over twenty years. I have always had my rock on the sand and never has it collapsed due to any burrowing animal. Hercules doesn't exactly live in our tanks now does he.
Do you have snails or crabs in your tank, wow better take them out if your worried about the rock falling, because they will wedge themselves in between rocks and the rocks will fall. I have had this happen, and low and behold the tanks have never cracked. Boy with your advice, I better glue all my rocks together and then to the bottom of the tank.
Okay, I vented, maybe next time skip the sarcasm and just add your comment, thanks.