What to test for in a reef tank?

shimbox

Hi guys, I am just after some information about what water parameters should be tested in a reef tank?
Other than the following what needs to be tested ?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Temperature
Salinity
Thanks for any feedback

morgan175

My opinion not very much experience is calcium, magnesium, and Alkalinity. The rule of thumb is if you don't test for it don't add it to your tank. Hope this helps.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan175 http:///t/392817/what-to-test-for-in-a-reef-tank#post_3490535
My opinion not very much experience is calcium, magnesium, and Alkalinity. The rule of thumb is if you don't test for it don't add it to your tank. Hope this helps.
LOL..Morgan, you did good :)
Yes these are the kits you need. Magnesium not so much, if you do your regular water changes the magnesium should be just fine. Also never dose the tank with anything before you do a test to see if it is even needed. The stuff called purple up (a common thing new folks dose) will raise your calcium, so test first to see if calcium is even low.
The biggest concern in a reef is to keep the nitrates below 10, and 0 would be perfect. SPS corals need the 0, and soft corals are happy under 10. Inverts die if the nitrates reach 40...fish don't seem to care.

shimbox

amother question I want to put live rock into a tank and let it seed some dry rock. Do I need to use a protein skimmer and perform water changes to do this ?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbox http:///t/392817/what-to-test-for-in-a-reef-tank#post_3490585
amother question I want to put live rock into a tank and let it seed some dry rock. Do I need to use a protein skimmer and perform water changes to do this ?
No, just put your rock in...make sure the sand is over the rock, you can't build on shifting sand. The good bacteria will form on all surfaces, and the little tiny critters will set up house in all the rock and in the sand as they populate.

red tiger

LOL..Morgan, you did good :)
Yes these are the kits you need. Magnesium not so much, if you do your regular water changes the magnesium should be just fine. Also never dose the tank with anything before you do a test to see if it is even needed. The stuff called purple up (a common thing new folks dose) will raise your calcium, so test first to see if calcium is even low.
The biggest concern in a reef is to keep the nitrates below 10, and 0 would be perfect. SPS corals need the 0, and soft corals are happy under 10. Inverts die if the nitrates reach 40...fish don't seem to care.
Actually, you would want to test for magnessium. Especially once you develop coraline algea. There can be days where your system draw more magnessium and then be very low. I do water changes every friday and at times by tuesday my mag level be ar 1150!!!
Also high pH will lower magnessium!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392817/what-to-test-for-in-a-reef-tank#post_3490634
Actually, you would want to test for magnessium. Especially once you develop coraline algea. There can be days where your system draw more magnessium and then be very low. I do water changes every friday and at times by tuesday my mag level be ar 1150!!!
Also high pH will lower magnessium!
I have a SeaChem magnesium kit, and I have used it 5Xs...I had a ton of coraline algae and my magnesium level was steady and never changed enough to ever need to dose it. I don't remember the numbers now because it's been over a year, I no longer keep corals and changed my reef to a potbelly seahorse tank.
I was told once to up my magnesuim to get rid of hair algae. I kept a close eye during that time...otherwise the kit was a waste of money, and never needed.

red tiger

I dont have any test no more, my lfs uses Hanna testers and i check my water usually mondays or tuesdays and thats how i noticed the drop on mag!
When the mag is low my wellsophilya doesn't like it much!

1guydude

eh humbug! I dont test! I dont w/c lol...
.....ok im mixing some now.
imoe u should keep an eye on ur salt level and par!
W/Cs if ur faithful will do u good.
hths
-d

xcali1985

I truly believe that a magnesium test is a total waste of money as a normal routine test. If you are having issues with your tank and you have tested all of the others then buy one. In addition it usually takes a lot of magnesium dosed into the water to get it to raise.
Me personally, the only thing I dose my tank with is Kalk. 1 drip per second. It's the simplest way to keep your calcium and alk in order. If those 2 are in order your coraline algae will take off. Kalk is the best thing next to an actual Calcium reactor.
You can get a gallon bucket of it for about 50$ you use 2 teaspoons of it per gallon of RO/DI water then shake it up. Set a siphon about an inch from the bottom so you don't siphon the powder that doesn't fully mix into the water.
When you first set it up you need to test daily to determine your drip rate. 1 drip per second works for me, heavy sps tanks may require more than 2 teaspoons per gallon.