What Trigger fish can I add....PinkTail Trigger

fish&chips

I'm trying to figure out a stocking plan for my new tank. It's a 110gal flatbackhex w/ LR and some basic Inverts (shrimp/Star/hermits)*** NO CORAL***.
So, my question... is there a trigger fish that would be compatible w/ the Inverts and could be accomodated with this size tank and perhaps 8-10 other fish. Thanks!!!!
[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Fish&Chips ]

cchung718

Some triggers such as niger would get along with other fishes but I am afraid inverts are out of the question. Inverts are what the triggers love to crunch down on with their strong teeth.

nickbuol

They are all VERY compatable. Just like I am compatable with a nice juicy steak. They sound like nice yummy snacks for a trigger.

justchillin

in that size tank even the smallest of triggers couldn't be kept with 8-10 other fish...triggers are aggressive so if you get a trigger you'll have to keep other aggressive fish (eels, lions, puffers, etc.)
all these fish get to be pretty big and are messy so you can't keep to many in a 110.
if you wanna get a trigger then plan on only adding a couple more aggressive fish and don't plan on your inverts surviving long.
hth,
mike.

fish&chips

Thanks for the reply. I I hope on donating the trigger once it gets larger and then starting over w/a smaller one again. But it looks like keeping Inverts are a problem though I remmber reading somewhere that there was a trigger that faired well w/ Inverts....

tonga

they are very passive, but will probably pick on small ornamental shrimps, I have kept them with cbs before, but it was a big cbs.. and yes, they arnt nearly as colorful as the pictures suggest

cactus jack

pinktails are great triggers. all the triggers are going to eat any invert you put in your tank. a coral banded may be able to protect itself because of its claws but the trigger will likely get it when its napping over time. fish are kind of like people in that some they have different personalities and some triggers that are supposed to be passive are aggressive (bursa, niger, white line, pink tail) but if one of those are introduced last in a community tank you should be just fine.

rob 10737

Pink Tails are pretty cool, just picked one up ($69 for a 4 inch) And he gets along with my Blue Angel and Huma. Forget about inverts.

tjswanson

Personally, I think it depends how much LR you have. Right now I have a small niger in my tank. I have a few crabs and it hasn't bothered them at all. Will it in the furture, more than likely. But I think if you get one small, you don't know what will happen. I believes there's a guy on this BB that has a Niger in a reef tank. TJ

skirk

I was wondering why all the "no it won't work replies" came out. It seems to me that your best chance of successfully pulling this off would be with the pink tail trigger (which can be very beautiful by the way, they all look different, mine had a ton of color) and then secondly perhaps a niger. But a niger is much more likely to go hostile on ya then a pink tail. I had a pink tail with hermits and snails but nothing to community like. I agree with the above....hiding spots are very important and as always there are no guarantees. It seems likely that a pink tail may work, but he may also end up eating them. Buy one invert and find out. But nigers get large and then usually become nasty (or at least half the time). But my pink tail was so timid that I'm not sure what would have happened.
P.S. I'd also get the pink tail cuz he doesn't get as large as the niger (allowing you to add more fish and have more space)
HTH and just my 2cents....for what it's worth.

jimnyc

I have had a Pinktail for about 3 months now in a 75 gallon...never touches any inverts...in with a foxface ,goby,blue hippo...not a problem...he was the last fish i put in the tank...loves my cleaner shrimp...cleaner is always cleaning him.....

fish&chips

Thanks for all the responses...if I did get a trigger my plan was to get the least aggressive of the group, (which I had read in more than a couple of sources was the Pink Tail), and that I would get a small one that didn't get too large and add him last to the tank. So, given the reponses from the Pink Tail owners I think I'll add him to the list and proceed w/ caution.
[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Fish&Chips ]