What type of angel?

troyrb

This picture was posted in another thread on this board but they didn't say what type of angel it was. Anyone know what type of angel it is and are they hardy?

adamz

thats a regal angel and its not that hardy of a fish. alot of people seem to keep them for a while and then they just stop eating or somting and that ends up killing them

capt.lunch

It is a Real Angelfish. (Pygoplites diacanthus). Will nip at polyped corals and some soft corals. Known for being picky eaters. Grows to 10". Indo Pacific.

brooklyn johnny

Yeap that's mine... that was incredible pic my buddy took. Unless you have lots of experience with these type of fish I wouldn't try one. There is much more success nowadays with these guys, but they are still very tough to get to settle in. Once settled though, they can do very well. Don't even consider ever trying one unless you can personally verify it's feeding well. They tend to be okay with sps and many other corals, although as with all angels (except for Genicanthus) they are individuals. One coral they love is zoanthids... my remaining ones I couldn't remove were mowed down in hours.
I'm picking up one (another Red Sea specimen) tomorrow for a friend that's eating well and will go into his 260 gallon. For myself I get a nice blueline angel (Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis) for the new house that I'll test out in a frag tank to see which corals it prefers. I'll update how everything goes.

nas19320

Hey Brooklyn Johnny do you have a post here on your tank specs or was that on another board? I thought I remeber seeing a post here but I can't find it, or at least if you could give me a keyword to narrow down the search I can find it myself. You have an amazing tank.Thanks.

troyrb

Your tank is so awesome. Where do you get your corals? And what additives do you use? Great pictures!

thangbom

sry to go off topic in your trend but i took a peep at jonny's tank pix and holy dookie butt that is nice... WOW!!!!!! (gasp for air) man must b a very high maintence tank having suck high bio-load from inhabitantsss..... but man it's worth it...

hippo!

off topic too, that has got to be the nicest tank i have seen yet!
what we aspire to have for our own.