What type of coral is this? It's absolutly beautiful and won't stop growing!

jeffrey776

Can someone please Identify? It's also about 9 or 10 inches across top to bottom. When I feed the fish along the inner/outer edge tenticles raise up and feed quite aggressively on the flakes. Some days it is so full and soft I just sit in wonderment looking at it. It has a hard stony like shell underneith with 4 distinct sections. I am a newby and have inhearited this from someone who kept the tank for 9 years, they have fufilled my life long dream of owning a saltwater fish tank. I travel several times a year to vegas and Cesar Palas has an amazing display I finally have something simualar in my office. I cant wait to go back to Ceasars Palace and I will be taking up S.C.U.B.A just to witness this beauty in its natural state.
Thanks
Jeff

florida joe

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I believe its a "Lobophyllia hemprichii" but I could be wrong.
my moneys on you friend

saltn00b

i was thinking that it was a donut or meat coral (scolymia type) that has grown new colonies. the guy had the tank for nine years and those flaps look very fleshy

jeffrey776

Originally Posted by Piscian
I concur. It's a lobo. This is my favorite coral to feed because of how responsive it is.

It is very responsive. I'll post pics of feeding, however I don't think it's a Lobo. I've look at verious pice on the internet of the Lobo and they just don't look the same. I would really like more possible answers if anyone has any clues, or where I could find a pic of something which is the same even if it were not the same color.

reefkprz

the problem with absolutle IDing of brains is they can look extremly similar for different genera or look totally different for the same genera so it can be extremly confusing. sorry I cant be more helpfull than an absolute maybe.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by Alex4286
it really looks like a brain maze coral

Not even close
A maze brain or Platygyra sp

R

reefernana

I have a single just like it (though below where the emerald crab is, is another skeleton that used to be one of these) and mine was referred to as a modern brain, but I've seen it called a donut brain and a meat brain, also. Mine in this picture doesn't have it's 'teeth' showing, but when I feed the tank cyclopeeze, it opens and then I feed it mysis. It's very fun to watch it all close up to eat. Here's mine: