What type of filter do i need

jlynch799

i have a bio-wheel filter now and its a 20 gal tank i want to start building a tank with soft corals and a bta and 2 clowns i have some lr and not sure what to do for the filtration system. would just addind a protein skimmer do the trick, any help would be great.

db

Get rid of the bio wheel and get yourself a good HOB skimmer. A good amount of live rock and a high quality skimmer will be all the filtration you will need. CPR Bak Paks and Aqua C Remoras are good skimmers.

jlynch799

yeah someone else told me to get a protein skimmer and just get rid of the bio-wheel out of the filter thank you

newfishguy

I have heard the same as well and only have a skimmer for my 75 gallon which is not yet setup. However, shouldn't you have some other type of filtration with carbon in it to keep the water clear? I have heard that several people use Emperor dual bio-wheels as well as skimmers.
Originally Posted by DB
Get rid of the bio wheel and get yourself a good HOB skimmer. A good amount of live rock and a high quality skimmer will be all the filtration you will need. CPR Bak Paks and Aqua C Remoras are good skimmers.

xtech

not wanting to hijack the thread ...but i have a filter question as well. currently running wet dry with bio balls.water is pretty clean but not as crystal as i would like.90 gallon about 1 month old. can i add another filter to the system i already have or do i just need to wait it out ? also have a seaclone hob skimmer...

jlynch799

i was told to keep the bio-wheel fiter on the tank but just remove the bio-wheel and to make sure to keep the charcoal filter clean is that right, did i understand correctly?

newfishguy

Just replace the filter every couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by jlynch799
i was told to keep the bio-wheel fiter on the tank but just remove the bio-wheel and to make sure to keep the charcoal filter clean is that right, did i understand correctly?