What type of Rock does everyone prefer

L

lions den

I have everything in my tank ready to go and now I'm at the decision as to what type of lr to buy. I planned on Ultra Fiji, but I would like to know what everyone else thinks before I buy it. Do most of you use Fiji and if not, what type do you prefer?

twoods71

Fiji rock here or at least thats what they called it when they sold it to me :eek:
Anyway I'm happy with it.

mr . salty

I have Fiji,Tonga branch and shelf,And a couple pieces of Marshall Island rock.The fiji is my second favorite..I LOVE the Tonga Shelf rock.This stuff has the coolest shapes,and lots of flat areas that would be perfect in a reef...

flydan

Hey,
I like a nice variety of lr. I'm at the point where I'm looking for a few select pieces to top off my reef. Right now I'm mostly concerned with shape and what's on it.
I guess it depends on if you're picking it out or buying 100lbs sight unseen.
Dan'l

jamos6

ey I have some figi which is good it has lots of macro algea on it but I bought some florida aquacultured rock with sponges ployps and all kinds of goodies on it and it was only $5/lb at my lfs. I think i got a good deal.

mr.marine

AQUACULTURE FLORIDA LIVE ROCK GET IT GET IT GET IT!!!!!! YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED! THE COOLEST THINGS GROW ON IT AND ITS NOT TAKEN FROM THE OCEAN ITS MAN MADE!!!!! GET IT GET IT GET IT!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

teog

I have both marshal island and florida aquaculture and I prefer the florida! It has so much stuff growing on it. Like sponges, corals, green stuff, etc. The Marshal island is ok with coraline algea on it.

L

lions den

It seems that a few of you prefer Florida rock. Ive never heard much about it. Where can I do some research on it and were can it be purchased?

mr . salty

Keep in mind that what kind of growth(sponges,corals,algae,and critters) has more to do with where it is bought,how it was cured,How long it was cured,and what enviroment that it was cured in,,Than WHAT KIND OF ROCK IT IS...I have seen handmade (cement)rock that was absolutly loaded.But this "Cement"rock itself is quite ugly...My preferences are based more on the shapes,and overall beauty of these specific rocks.NOT WHAT IS ON THEM when bought...

b_ball12_99

I like rocks with lots of tunnels in them. Make more hiding and breeding spots for pods and such. Bacteria is the main thing though.

pat

what is "Live Rock"??? i wanted my tank to look like the ocean and i livein southern california, so i have like a trash can lid, and a shoe and a piece of a tire, and a beer can, and a (not used) hypodermic needle. isn't that what the ocean looks like everywhere?
ONLY JOKING, i have fiji
[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

@knight

I have marshall island and vanisii in my reef and love them both. very interesting shapes sizes and makes curves and caves easy to make.

mad reefer

hEY,
i JUST FINISHED MY TANK WITH 230 OF LR
i WENT WITH FIJI, FIJI BRANCH TONGA, LOVE THE
BRANCH AND FIJI BUT THE TONGA ROCK IS VERY $$$ AND WEIGHS A TON

jlem

You could make your own concrete/ crushed oyster shell rocks for base rock that is hidden and pay only about 12 cents a lb, and it is great for bacteria growth. Their are lots of good diy sights on rock. I have figi mixed with concrete and you can't tell the difference once the corraline grows. Make sure to cure for at least one month before the concrete rocks go in your tank to prevant ph spiking :) :cool:

derrickt

The People's Rock ^^.
Okay..sorry. I prefer any cheap, live, cured rock. Is there such a thing? For dead rocks, Tufa is rather inexpensive and light.
Can someone link me some info how I can make my own rock that is aquarium-safe and is able to support bacteria colonies? I basically prefer rocks that take up alot of space but not volume.
[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: DerrickT ]