What type of sand to use

frink

I am currently using cc and would like to switch over to a DSB. I've read posts about people using different types of sand. Do I need to buy live sand from the fishstore or can I go to my local hardware store and get it for much cheaper. What kind of sand should I look for? Is just regular play sand okay. Anybody try different types of sand.

I

irenicus

If you can find it, go to a home improvement store like Home Depot and pick up Southdown Sand. I've heard it's name might have been changed to Old Castle or New Castle... not quite sure which. Also, I've heard there are availability issues with this product, maybe a regional thing... i'm not sure.

gold strip

Southdown is aragonite sand. It is now owned by Old Castle Stone Products I believe and may go by the name of Yard Rite or something like that.
Only a few HDs carry it and not one near me unfortunately! I am looking for about 400lbs right now and sounds like I am going to have to road trip to find it.

msd2

aragonite sand - its a very good sand, can even help balance out the water a limited amount. Easy test to see if u have found it, put vinegar on it, if it fizzes its arag, if not keep looking :)

msd2

silicate sand wont hurt the fish but is not as effective as supporting biodiversity in the sandbed. If your makin a dsb i suggest the extra expense of the arg. sand. If its just for decoration silicate should be okay.