What type of substrate for fuge?

mikeyjer

I bought some Kent's Bio-Sediment. But was wondering what would be best. Aragonite Live Sand, Bio-Sediment or Miracle Mud? Which would be best to use? I want to use the right products....Let me know, thanks!!! :happyfish

celacanthr

Well, there are pros and cons to all.
Aragonite- Buffering, cheap (relatively), BUT you need a lot for a dsb, and caulerpa doesn't seem to grow fast (relatively speaking of course) in it
Miracle mud- It is a good macro grower, makes lots of anaerobic areas (good, or bad depending on you theology about anaerobic areas), can be easily stirred up, makin the water cloudy
I have never heard of the Kent bio-sediment.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Well, there are pros and cons to all.
Aragonite- Buffering, cheap (relatively), BUT you need a lot for a dsb, and caulerpa doesn't seem to grow fast (relatively speaking of course) in it
Miracle mud- It is a good macro grower, makes lots of anaerobic areas (good, or bad depending on you theology about anaerobic areas), can be easily stirred up, makin the water cloudy
I have never heard of the Kent bio-sediment.

I was told today by one of the LFS in town. Depending on the flow in my sump/fuge, the bio-sediment, mud and fine sand can be washed away over time. He suggested in using a more coarse aragonite sand so it won't get washed away easily. I'm still trying to find out which is best to use....Anyone else have any suggestions??? :notsure:

squidd

How you set it up and "what" you set it up with is dependant on what the "Goal" is for your fuge...
Safe haven for propatating pods...?
Place to grow Macros to feed fish...?
if sized properly, DSB for denitrification...?
Other...?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Squidd
How you set it up and "what" you set it up with is dependant on what the "Goal" is for your fuge...
Safe haven for propatating pods...?
Place to grow Macros to feed fish...?
if sized properly, DSB for denitrification...?
Other...?
I want to set it up for propagating pods and to help to keep the nutrient level down. I don't have a problem with nitrate, I have DSB in my main tank. In my sump, I'm putting in rock rubbles and the fuge part, I think I'll just go with live aragonite sand and some rock rubbles and Chaetos. Maybe bio-sediment on the bottom. :happyfish