What will eat cyanobacteria?

krishj39

Jon, my bulbs are only one month old, basically I know that the problem is that my tank just recently finished cycling. But the cyano is everywhere, and growing more and more everyday. I have some higher algae in there that I would like to keep alive, and its not doing too well cause the cyano is covering it. :(
Cerith snails, you say? Yes, I will have to check into them. What thoughts does everyone else have on those little buggers?
Kris

jonthefb

cerith and nassarius snails as fshhub mentioned basically do the same thing in a tank. these are my fav snails though, and are great little grazers. both will also root around in the sandbed eating detritus and stuff, and also turning the snad over, without depopulating it of all the beneficial critters!
good luck
jon

azonic

If your wondering if the red slime removers actually work or not....Here's a before and after pic of my tank....notice the sand, seafan, and back glass before and after. I used "UltraLife Red Slime Remover." One dosage, these results are 48 hours after treatment...
Before:

spencka

I've got these dark red blobs or splotches in my LS. Based on the research I've done on this site - it appears to be cyanobacteria (sp.)? Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate any photo's of the stuff, so I'm posting my own, in hopes that someone can confirm that's what I have.
If you can confirm, what action should I take? Do I spoon this stuff out? Some have said to increase flow. I currently have 2 maxi-jet 900's, in each rear corner of the tank (a 55 gal.), each about 1/2 way down the rear of the aquarium. I also have a "jet" from the outlet of my wet/dry, which also provides flow.
I do have a spare power head (alos a maxi-jet 900), which I've been using in a tub for my saltwater tub. Should I add this powerhead to the lower front of my tank? Use chemicals?
I have a 260 (total) watt PC light, which I've decreased in "on" time, I'm giving a smaller ration of food to my fish, just not sure what else I can do.
I've just removed about 8-10 gallons of water for my weekly water change. I plan to scrub the ******** glass - because I get a lot of brown speckling.

Thanks for any advice!
Steve

wax32

Way to dig up a 3 year old thread spencka! I don't really see a problem with your tank. Looks like a new tank finishing its cycle. If you are worried about the patches on your sand, increase water flow. You want to see some occasional grains of sand tumbling.

900dublr

Kris My lfs recommended using a product called "Anti Red" I paid a little more than I should have but if you buy it online its pretty cheap. My cyano dissapeared after using. You have to have a protein skimmer to remove it from your tank though. This stuff is reef and fish safe to.

spencka

Sorry, I didn't intend to tack on my post to this old one - innocent mistake.
I've added another powerhead - we'll see what happens.

madison

maybe I just got lucky....after my 300g cycled I had a SEVERER outbreak!!! a mated pair of dragon gobies or some people call tehm sleeper gobies...
They cleared up 300lbs of LS and 350lbs of LR in about 8 days

megaschneide

Hi Everyone. Just registered because I wanted to add to this thread. I was scraping the red algae (cyanobacteria) from the glass and noticed my fish picking at it. not sure if they were eating it. also, the frogspawn, bubble tip and kenya trees seem to react favorably. Is this weird?

Diggy

Hey, I have a question that, no doubt, has been asked a million times before.
What critters can I add to specifically get rid of cyanobacteria?
Are there any that are hardy enough to survive the trail end of my cycle?
Gradually I will turn the tank into a reef tank, so I would want animals that won't hurt the reef.
I know hermits and snails are the default answer, but I am asking what specific kinds will eat the most cyano.
My tank is a 90 gallon, dead sand so far, plan on adding detrivore. 10 lbs LR, adding more soon. Thanks! The cyano is getting oppressive!
Kris
Chemi clean worked as advertised, 48 hrs all gone. No harm to my corals, keep running the skimmer.