what will grow in my lighting?

pogi pants

ok, i have a standard 125g 6' long. I have 3 150w hqi mh pendants hanging above it. what corals will grow good under that lighting? what corals won't grow or need more lighting then that?

scsinet

You should be able to keep zoos, polyps, leathers, most LPS, mushrooms, gorgonians, and sponges.
You won't be able to keep clams, anemones, SPS (all "pora" corals), or some of the tougher LPS like brains.

u should be able to keep whatever u want i have just 4 t-5 in my tank what is less light then u have and i have clams and sps in my tank livein well it is all about ur water quality. everyone has there own beliefs on lighting.

scsinet

Not in this case, the light is serving too much area and is not concentrated enough. You need to step up to 250 for this.
You may be able to get one to survive (many have), it's just that your chances of success are not as great.

pogi pants

well that sux!!! is that why it's not coming out from behind the rocks? it's been in my tank for over a week now and it's still hiding under the rocks

scsinet

Well that may or may not have anything to do with it.
If you can see it and it's not falling apart, then it's not dead, so give it time. Anemones are very sensitive creatures and they need time to adjust to a new environment. This is a big problem with anemones, they can move, and the spot they decide they like may not be conducive to your viewing preferences.
A consequence of low light is bleaching (a radical lightening of color). That's what you really need to watch for when you have lower lighting.
With all due respect to all posters, it's not just about water quality. Corals (depending on the species) and ALL anemones except tube anemones are photosynthetic, requiring proper lighting to stimulate the growth of symbiotic zooxanthalle in their tissues, which give them their color and food. In the case of SPS, it's especially important because SPS get almost all of their food this way.
Remember, it's not just about survival, it's about thriving.

mfp1016

No offense to you sir, but this is a very experimental hobby. There is NO end all on any subject in the hobby, people can only provide their empirical observations. I do agree that someone with 80watt NO fluorescents has no chance in hell of keeping any kind of coral, but I have also seen a number of people keeping SPS coral in what you would probably deem sub-standard conditions and achieve long term (5+years) success.