What will hyposalinity do to inverts?

scotts2002

I have a 150 gallon tank that has one fish showing signs of ick. I'm am going to use Hyposalinity to get rid of it but there are the following inverts in the tank.
2 Brittle starfish, Coral banded shrimp, Cleaner shrimp(doing a great job -- lol), many Hermit crabs, and three rocks with Mushroom polyps on them.
What would happen to these inverts if left in the tank through the process? If I move the polyp rock to another tank, how do I know the ick wont just piggy back into the other tank on the rock?
Questions, questions, questions. The tank is doing great otherwise.
Thanks for your info.

dingo0722

it will kill your inverts. Why dont you remove the fish that is showing signs of ich and either quarintine him, of give him a fresh water bath.
When I moved my tank, I had slight ich break out on my clown trigger, yellow tang and clown fish. I just fed them well, gave them garlic supliments, and the problem resolved itself. It might be just that easy

alyssia

Originally Posted by dingo0722
it will kill your inverts. Why dont you remove the fish that is showing signs of ich and either quarintine him, of give him a fresh water bath.
When I moved my tank, I had slight ich break out on my clown trigger, yellow tang and clown fish. I just fed them well, gave them garlic supliments, and the problem resolved itself. It might be just that easy

I have also had the same experience of ich resolving itself. I also used garlic soaked food.
And yes, hypo will kill your inverts.

johnp906

Everytime I put the word garlic in the search in FAQ it says there are no results. What am I doing wrong.

juddster

You can buy garlic suplement at your LFS, Soak the food in garlic before feeding, it really helps in fighting fish disease.

unleashed

garlic is a very high source of vit c which just like in humans help boost the imune system to help fight off desease and illness and things like ich

aw2

Originally Posted by Beth
Hyposalinity will kill the inverts and everthing in the LR.

While I agree with you that hypo will kill inverts, it will not kill "everything" in the live rock.
It may kill off some surface bacteria, but not enough to cause harm to the rock or the tank.
I have ran hypo on numerous tanks with as little as 25lb of live rock and as much as 300lb+ of live rock, for different periods of time...once as long as 3 months...without any harm to the live rock.