What would be an appropriate size tank?

emperor11

I was thinking..I really don't want the firefish. They just don't "do it for me" like they used to. What would go well in its place?

emperor11

I called my LFS today, just because I was curious as to how much just the tank itself would cost, and being that the one I called is the most expensive in town (but they're the only ones who carry all-glass products, let alone aquariums) they quoted my $731.28 for a 210 gallon all-glass with dual megaflow overflows, which isn't bad, imo. And, then I'd build the stand and canopy, of course. Its a whole lot cheaper to do it that way. Also, Lion, since you have the 3 holes in the middle of the tank, can I ask them to do that (so im not liable) or do I HAVE to do it myself (and be liable).

lion_crazz

No, the LFS should definitely do it for you.
That is a very good price for that tank, and you're right, it is much cheaper to make a stand and canopy yourself.
How much would it cost to make a canopy for that size tank? They don't make canopies for that size, and I don't currently have one. However, I would like one, but I don't want to be ripped off because of my ignorance. What would be a fair price to pay someone to do it for me when I actually go out and get one custom made for me?

lion_crazz

I personally love helfrichi firefish, but I would never pay $200+ for a pair of them.
Maybe you just want to add in a pair of regular purple firefish? It would be a ton cheaper, and you are still getting a pair of pretty cool fish.

emperor11

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
No, the LFS should definitely do it for you.
That is a very good price for that tank, and you're right, it is much cheaper to make a stand and canopy yourself.
How much would it cost to make a canopy for that size tank? They don't make canopies for that size, and I don't currently have one. However, I would like one, but I don't want to be ripped off because of my ignorance. What would be a fair price to pay someone to do it for me when I actually go out and get one custom made for me?
Hmm..well, considering I made a decent stand for my 55 gallon (which is much larger than a canopy obviously) for about 25 bucks..I wouldn't pay any more than 75 bucks for a REALLY nice canopy for a 210 gallon, JMO. I've never bought or made a canopy before..but thats my guess. I might be off by a bit, because I don't know how much someone would expect you to pay them...in addition to the cost of the items required to make it.

emperor11

I personally love helfrichi firefish, but I would never pay $200+ for a pair of them.
Maybe you just want to add in a pair of regular purple firefish? It would be a ton cheaper, and you are still getting a pair of pretty cool fish.
Yeah..that would work!

emperor11

Lion, I really am sorry to keep bugging you like I am, but, if I WERE to keep my 55 up and just take really slow, rather than downgrading, what fish from that list could I keep? I don't want the sleeper goby anymore..because I heard you have to replace the sand bed every couple years to keep them healthy. I know the tang and the butterfly won't work in this size tank, but what about everything else? What all from that list could I keep in a 55? Also, is it true, that at night, firefish lock themselves into a bolthole and won't move for anything..even if a hermit crab gets to it, and tries to eat it alive? I have dwarf blue leg hermits, but I want to get some purple firefish..is this going to be a problem?

lion_crazz

You're not bugging me at all. I enjoy helping.
Hm, $75? Wow, that is pretty cheap. I would gladly pay anyone $75 or even $150 for a canopy for my 210. The cheapest price I have been quoted before when I was looking before was about $400.
I don't see you having a problem with the firefish, but then again, I don't really trust hermit crabs much at all. I don't keep them in my tank anymore because I have had a few hermits shred and kill a large volitan lion and 14 inch engineer goby. After that, that was it for me keeping hermits.
For a 55, you might be able to do:
3 green chromis
1 dwarf angel
1 radiant wrasse
2 percula clownfish
2 purple firefish
The undo-ables are:
l
1 yellow tang
4 bartlett anthias
1 copperband butterflyfish
1 sleeper gold head goby
1 spotted mandarin

emperor11

You're not bugging me at all. I enjoy helping.
Hm, $75? Wow, that is pretty cheap. I would gladly pay anyone $75 or even $150 for a canopy for my 210. The cheapest price I have been quoted before when I was looking before was about $400.
I don't see you having a problem with the firefish, but then again, I don't really trust hermit crabs much at all. I don't keep them in my tank anymore because I have had a few hermits shred and kill a large volitan lion and 14 inch engineer goby. After that, that was it for me keeping hermits.
For a 55, you might be able to do:
3 green chromis
1 dwarf angel
1 radiant wrasse
2 percula clownfish
2 purple firefish
The undo-ables are:
l
1 yellow tang
4 bartlett anthias
1 copperband butterflyfish
1 sleeper gold head goby
1 spotted mandarin
Thanks for the help! Yeah..I thought the $75 might be off..that would be how much it would cost ME to make one, while not paying anyone for doing it. I like that list for the 55. I'm glad I'm not bugging you, because I'm sure I'll come back with more questions!

~Adam :happyfish