What would cause corraline to turn white?

ntvflgirl

The corraline on the back glass of my tank has turned from dark pink to white. I'm getting over a ph problem...it was low for a while...not sure how long. It's fine now. As are all other water parameters. Could this be causing it to die?

michaeltx

if it was raised to quickly or lowered or a massive swing it could have adverse effects on it. also calsium levels and increase to a higher light can cause it.
have you changed anything within your tank includeing lighting lately?
Mike

dattong

yep, I have the same problem when upgraded my lighting to two 250W MHs. The green coraline are getting white now. but color of the ones at the bottom remain still. So I think I could be the light. Anyone has any idea?

bradttu

Mine did the same thing. It looked completely bleached! I bought 2-55w 50/50s and BAMM.... it started coming back within that week. That is the ONLY thing that I changed in my tank. All levels remained the same.

ntvflgirl

Well, I've had my lights for about a month now, and it looks like it's getting worse. I don't want to lose all this thick, purple corralline....any suggestions?

ty_05_f

Check your calcium levels. But i bet it's mostly your light. It can take a while for it to start growing back just give it time

ntvflgirl

I have never checked my calcium levels in the tank...:eek: Could this be causing it to die? It's gone from purple to completely white on the back glass, where I don't clean, and is starting to really lighten up on the rock.

michaeltx

if the calcium levels are low then yeah. they need the calcium to grow if its not there then it will receed. I would get a test kit ASAP and test it I bet it low though if youve never check it.
Mike

fshhub

sure , it could be the calcium or ph and alkalinity
but more than likely it is the lighting. changes in lighting will kill fof some coraline. but ti will regrow fairly quickly. When it dies or grows it will look bleached, so it is probably gonna be fine in the near future.

spsfreak100

You're seeing Coralline Algae bleaching.
Coralline algae bleaching is usually caused by low calcium or a sudden increase in lighting. Alkilinity could also have some affects on the Coralline growth and bleaching.
My vote says that it was the sudden increase in lighting, as many people above already stated. This is a quote from --- ----:
"WOW...the number one cause of coralline bleaching... sudden increase in light. BINGO. Some aquarists also experience this without new lamps or fixtures when they do a water change with the lights on... then all of the corallines left high and dry under the bright lamps (with the dropped water level) bleach white right down to the water line within 24 hrs"(Calfo)
and also
"coralline algae bleaching is caused by low calcium or a sudden increase in light"
(Gage)
Graham

ntvflgirl

Well, it must be both. I bought a calcium test today, and it's at 300ppm. So I am adding that. So that plus the lights must be the culprit. Hope it comes back quickly. Thanks everyone.

pferboy

always add slowly. my calcium was low so i started a 2 day drip of kalk. 5 gals in 2 days. while i was setting up the drip i dropped the whole bucket into my sump. that caused everything to bleach white. be careful and take it slow.