What would the perfect lfs have?

mweezy05

A couple things.....
For starters I will drive up to 60 miles one way if, and only IF, the store is worth it. As of today, there is only one store that I know of that I consider to be worth it.
This store has an amazing amount of livestock. Large display tanks and tons of smaller tanks. Also, they have an unreal selection of dry goods.
The selection of livestock and dry goods is what draws me there.
I also love to see rare specimins also. It is always a plus to see new things every time I return.
As for my opinion on what I would want in a store.......
1. Definately have to have a large variety of livestock.
2. Dry goods is always a plus as well. It is great to be able to get quality livestock from a store and ask the store what they use or prefer and then be able to by the dry goods at the same store.
3. Display tanks are great. It really gets me going when I see a sweet display tank and get ideas for my own tank.
4. Great advice or area for fish disease and treatments.
5. Quality pricing.
Here are some things I personlly think would be great.
1. I have seen stores have coupons for different things that can be found online and printed out. Then simply bring them with you to the store.
2. Detailed information placed on tanks with livestock in them. An easy way to do this would be to make up laminated tags for each type of livestock that you carry and put a cover slip that would hold the tags. Then simply insert the tag into the slip. If you move a fish to a different tank you can then simply take the tag out and place it on the other tank. Then there is no messy writing on the tanks and some tanks would have writing that describes a fish that is not in that tank.
3. I would like to see packages be offered at local stores. Such as a newbie package, a reef package, or something. Then you would move a lot of inventory and the customer would get everything they need.
4. I have yet to find a place that has quality RO/DI kits for sale. I have purchased all of mine online.
5. Regular customer discounts are always cool.
6. I like the customer data base thing also. Keep a record of what the customer has purchased . This is a bit extreme, but I saw of a store that issued store cards that had a chip in them that had all this information on them. The customer would walk into the store and the chip would be read and on the employee would see a picture of the person and their last purchase. Then you could simply greet the customer by name and ask them how their last purchase has worked out for them. This would ultimately establish a great customer relationship. All of this can be easily obtainable also by current computer programing and such, I know because I am currently a college student majoring in business and have research similiar situations.
7. As for the store set-up, I think it would be cool if a store divided itself up into a livestock area. Dry goods area. Then broke that down even further. With livestock areas of aggressvie, reef, rare, eels. Corals would be something like soft, hard, lps, sps, polyps, ect. And then dry goods area would be disease treatment, filtration, tanks, food, ect. You could simply hang a sign from the ceiling over every area. This makes it easier for customers to find items without having to ask an employee, thus giving your employees time to help customers with more import tant things.
8. It is always cool to see used things for sale also. Either buy used tanks from customers or whatever or sell your used tanks, AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. Customers are always looking for ways to save money. So if you get customers in to see your used items they will most likely check out your entire store. Which can only help.
Sorry for the long post, just a lot of information that I feel you might think is valuable. I have also thought of opening my own store one day. Although, this would not be anytime soon for I am fairly young.

sambasam

one of my most hated things is when the owner/employee is really mean. you need to have employees who are very good with people and are nice. i will always spend a few more cash at a place where people are really freindly than at a place where a guy is a real jerk to you.
ps. good luck

cgj

Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
what if the lfs had the best reputation, i am talking about building a dynasty of a lfs, with the best of the best, for everything, prices, knowledge, livestock, selection, everything, would it be worth 60 miles, i drive 35 to my lfs and then 35 back...
Theres two good LFS near me, one is actually about 40 miles away, but its on my way back from my monday office meeting, so if theres something I want, it's usually a good time to get it on the way back. Theres also one about 5 miles away thats very good, although the selection is sooo much less. Because theyre local and a small business I have them occasionally special order things for me, like the maxima clam they'll have in a week or so.

ghiggi

Originally Posted by mweezy05
A couple things.....
2. Detailed information placed on tanks with livestock in them. An easy way to do this would be to make up laminated tags for each type of livestock that you carry and put a cover slip that would hold the tags. Then simply insert the tag into the slip. If you move a fish to a different tank you can then simply take the tag out and place it on the other tank. Then there is no messy writing on the tanks and some tanks would have writing that describes a fish that is not in that tank.
I agree with mweezy05, I hate going into a store that has black grease pencil all over the front of the tank listing 5-10 items and there are only 2 fish in the tank and they're not even in the listed items. Place the info cards above the tank, and include a picture of the item.
I have 2 LFS that I patronize on a regular basis. One carries a huge freshwater livestock section, but limited saltwater livestock. But they also have a huge dry good/frozen food/supply selection. This is where I get my supplies and food. I go there about every 2 weeks or so even if I don't need anything. I pass it every day on my way home, so it's covenient.
The other one carries a large coral and saltwater livestock selection, but has limited food and supplies. Most of their livestock is overpriced, but they do have some good deals on coral. I go there every month or two. It's about 10 miles away through city traffic.
When I consider livestock prices, I look at what I would pay online including shipping. If a coral costs $25 + $35 shipping, I would consider a decent LFS price to be $35-$45. And I prefer to buy locally. Not only do I get exactly what I see, but there is less stress to the animal than when it is shipped overnight.
Another thing I hate is the warehouse look. Both of the stores I frequent have tanks with the typical 2'x2' subdivisions and very little, if any, aquascaping. All of the tanks are on metal warehouse shelving units. To me, this is just cheap and gives me the feeling that the owners are more concerned with saving money than they are with providing decent homes for the animals.
There is one LFS about 25 miles away that has all of their tank fronts framed with wood panelling and aquascaped so that each tank looks like a mini-display tank. All of the tanks are accessed from the rear, behind the scenes. I'm sure it takes alittle more to keep these clean and requires a larger store, but I can spend hours in there when I'm on that side of town. I don't think I've ever left that store without buying something.
Just my personal thoughts. Good luck on your endeavor.

kerriann

well, the only factor that really matters to me is customer care. for instance, we have 3 or 4 LFS's in my area but we go to just the one because the guys know us, know our tank and won't let us get anything that they know won't make it in our tank. they're not out to make a quick sell, they're in it for the whole relationship and they get ALL of our business. you take the time to sit and talk with me and answer questions i have, you've got a customer for life. our LFS is slightly over priced but it's worth it to know you're getting quality products
appearance is definitely an issue as well. while i know most tanks do have a "grungier" look to them, i personally prefer seeing the fish clearly and visibly before i buy it.
one other thing our LFS does that i think is pretty decent is they'll sell tanks at cost or just above cost because while they're not making a profit from the tank they're getting a customer for life!

aquaknight

Drygoods, there's nothing really more exciting then walking into a LFS and seeing rows of powerheads, lighting, skimmers, etc. But stopping to think about it, yea, I haven't purchased much from a LFS, online or mostly used local stuff. Which, isn't a bad idea, having a 'used' section in your store. People could trade in used stuff for some store credit, then resale the stuff. I know if my LFS's had used equipment, I'd be all over it and visit frequently.
Fish, these are what will draw in the most people and be your bread and butter IMO. Have a wide selection for everyone's different needs. Big fish, small fish, predator (though blacktips are unnessacary). Constantly vary it up though. I'm really tired of seeing 75% of the store being Yellow tangs, imbread 'misbar' clowns, and niger triggers.
Corals, as wide of selection as possible obviously, but frags are a great idea. No one likes leaving empty handed, and that $15 zoo frag looks good, so WTH, you know? But do have nice colonies. I'd rather drop $75 for a nice favia or lobo then 6 heads of PPE's.
Labeling, even the best systems fail. There's nothing really you can do when a customer wants 2 fish and 2 corals on complete opposite ends of the store. Just update each tank in the morning and try to keep up the best you can. One thing I found at a LFS, was they a big binder of everything they stocked with each page laminated in the center of the store. It had a description, compabatly, price (for S/M/L), etc in there. Though when I asked the price of a fish, I always got a lower $$ amount. But whatever, it's a great idea.
Distance, eh, I'll drive 190 miles from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale to go the LFS's down there (I use seeing the familly as an 'excuse' lol
) about once a month. But I'd drive far for a nice store. I'm headed 60 miles to a Tampa store this weekend because they have a bunch of higher end fish.