what would the perfect lfs have?

fishgeek01

i am thinking of setting up an aquatics store with a friend of mine and need some research first, it will have an emphasis on saltwater,
what are some things that you look for in a fish store, and what types of things do your local lfs's have that make them unique or better?
My first idea was a free r.o. and mixed water program for being a frequent customer?
Let me know what you think
sorry about posting in 3 forums, but i was getting no response to begin with and i want everybodies ideas, i want the best lfs ever

fishgeek01

discount cards and club cards for frequent customer, variety of livestock and merchandise, knowledgable staff, unlimited available information via the net for customers, clean tanks and store areas, massive qt systems for livestock, everything from frags to colonies, reasonable prices, matching prices of internet stores,
anybody else going to chime in....

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by daveverdo
intelligence

i was thinking of sending people in to my store posing as customers to ask questions and make sure i am getting the responses i expect, i dont want any bs swimming out of my store

jesikarose

I drive over 2 hours to get to the best lfs in my area...
I think The thing that I would Love to see the most in an lfs would be a sitting area where people get together and talk tanks... I work at a farm store and have abunch of farmers that come in and talk dirt lol... so why not an little area set up for somthing like that...
Have a Board set up that people can post used equipment on and fish that is not working in there tank
I think a good decent lfs should take trade ins
Have another Board set up for people to post there tanks and ideas for tanks
have a AA meating Aquiriums Anomonmus once a month
have special during the diffrent months like on tuesdays at my lfs if you buy 3 freshwater fish you get the third free... in the month of febuary you can bring in an old tank and they will upgrade you for a little cheaper...
Test water for free... and have class where you show people how to test there water
these are just my ideas for when i set up my own pet store

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by JesikaRose
I drive over 2 hours to get to the best lfs in my area...
I think The thing that I would Love to see the most in an lfs would be a sitting area where people get together and talk tanks... I work at a farm store and have abunch of farmers that come in and talk dirt lol... so why not an little area set up for somthing like that...
Have a Board set up that people can post used equipment on and fish that is not working in there tank
I think a good decent lfs should take trade ins
Have another Board set up for people to post there tanks and ideas for tanks
have a AA meating Aquiriums Anomonmus once a month
have special during the diffrent months like on tuesdays at my lfs if you buy 3 freshwater fish you get the third free... in the month of febuary you can bring in an old tank and they will upgrade you for a little cheaper...
Test water for free... and have class where you show people how to test there water
these are just my ideas for when i set up my own pet store
thank you very much, i love the ideas, i am writing them in my notebook right now, keep them coming

jleithiser

I've said in this thread on a different board that you should have a variety of fish. That is very important, but you should also interact with the customers. Give them tips on things that they don't know about. My lfs doesn't know much about saltwater fish, so it's hard to learn much about the saltwater aquarium around this are

fishgeek01

i was thinking of having the internet and a library of information available to my customers, that way they can also preveiw literature before they buy... what do you think

shogun323

I have always thought it would be a great idea for an LFS to offer Saturday courses to educate people wanting to get into the hobby. You could cover all the basics such as cycling, importance of water changes, fish compatibilites and tank size requirements, etc..... I think it would be a great service to offer and could be profitable as well.
Cheers!!!

jleithiser

Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
i was thinking of having the internet and a library of information available to my customers, that way they can also preveiw literature before they buy... what do you think
I think the library idea is great. People would be able to preview the books and they would have a place to read about fish and then go view some fish all in the same store. I also think a class on putting together a tank woulde be a great idea.

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by jleithiser
I think the library idea is great. People would be able to preview the books and they would have a place to read about fish and then go view some fish all in the same store. I also think a class on putting together a tank woulde be a great idea.

not to mention a better educated customer is more likely to have success, and a successful customer will come back thanks jleithiser

socalracer

when i first started it would have been nice to see a reasonabley priced starter tank packages.....it could even have used equipment. I just felt everytime i went into a local fish store there starter sets where so outrageously over priced

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by socalracer
when i first started it would have been nice to see a reasonabley priced starter tank packages.....it could even have used equipment. I just felt everytime i went into a local fish store there starter sets where so outrageously over priced
initial set up was always a costly venture for me as well, and we all know the expense of setting up a new tank regardless of it being your first or fifth, i would like to put together packages for fish only set-ups, and reef set-ups, with varying types of merchandise, kind of like an allecart, you order it, and the more you order, or purchase same day you get a discount from your total price, the more you spend the more you save, how would that work for ya?

xdave

Your combination of hobby experience and job in car sales is a great start.
Working at a distributor for 7 years at the time when the chain stores were wiping out the independants, I saw the subtle differences that made some stores survive and others fail. I was also trained to be the district manager overseeing the aquatics dept.in 15 stores.
1) Dont be afraid to take a loss on some items. No mater what you pay for them, sell your tanks 55 gallons and below for less than the other stores in your market. Your resulting volume will get you to the next price break level, and you'll generate lasting business. Make up your own starter kits of different price ranges (good, better, best)for the tanks that do not include things they only need after they buy livestock (ie. food). You dont nedd to physically put them together, just list the different combinations on sheets inside the tanks. Then to get the items, the customer will look at almost everything shelf in the store. People generally only buy 1 tank every 2 or 3 years, but buy supplies at least once a month forever.
2) Put the big sellers in the back. Make people walk past all the expensive fish to get to the tank of damsels.
3) Draw up a "planogram" for you tanks. People like to buy from full tanks. Your tanks dont have to be full, but they need to look full. Try to have at least two species per tank. Spread out the larger slowing selling fish and mix the fast sellers in with them. Example: Put a few butterflies in the clown tank. They will sell slower than the clowns but that tank will always appear full. 3 3"-5" Clown Triggers and 10 2" Humas, etc.. Of course your fish experience will help in deciding appropriate tank mates. Keep the biggest sellers in the eye level row.
4)Use dark gravel in all tanks, and lighting is no place to skimp. Keep tank decorations minimal, 2 per tank. Paying someone to remove and replace decorations all day will cost you labor $ and impatient customers.
5)Quarantine everything for 2 weeks. Acclimate them after that in tanks connected to the main system but not visible to the public. Customers will insist on buying anything they think just came in, if you refuse they will buy elsewhere, if already acclimated you will never have to say no. Being able to say "I respect you as a customer and feel good about you having him" is priceless.
6) The idea of having a lounge area is great. (thanx JesikaRose) So many store owners say it's a waste of money to have people hanging around, they are wrong. Put some chairs and a coffee table in the back by some great and varied DT's. Put some general aquaria books on the table. It's a good place for high end Product pamphlets. Dont use the plastic displays though, it will look like a sales pitch instead of fun information. Heres what happens, as a sales guy this will sound familiar. The books will create knowledgable customers, if you run a good business, they are the best kind. Envy, you can only read a pamphlet about a product that is fancier than what you have so many times without upgrading. The greed factor; If you sit 3 people down in a relaxed atmosphere all bragging about what they have,they will all want what the other 2 have.
7) Make sure that the sales staff aren't afraid to admit they aren't sure about something. Coming to you or another guy who does know is always the way to go. Respond to them in a way that doesn't make them feel bad about not knowing or they may start guessing.
8) If you put something on sale, make a sign for the front of the store and one that looks the same by the item (same color, shape, etc) I don't know how many times I heard a store owner say something wasn't selling but didnt bother to make a sign.
9) If something isn't moving, put it on an end cap. Items on end caps move on the average of 30% faster that they do on the shelf.
10) You mentioned discount cards. Another related idea is to give people free fish journals. They dont have to be fancy, just type somthing up and have them done at Kinkos. You write down what they bought, tank size, livestock, water test results, etc. Give them a discount whenever they bring the journal in (5% on over $20, 10% on over $50). You'll be able to track their habits, what they do good with, what they didn't.
11) Barely noticable ambient ocean noise is a powerful tool. A little louder than whatever equipment they can hear running.
Well thats some right off the topp of my head, if i remember a particular stores "secret weapon" I'll post it. hope this helps

tx reef

You really don't need to post this thread in every forum and bump them all up.
It is really annoying.
Just post the thread in one forum.

fishgeek01

TX REEF first off, nobody was replying when i started these threads, second of all, all i am doing is responding to everyones delightful insight as to what i should do i havent made any inserts without it being a response with the exception of one time on the new hobbyist forum, third of all thank you for bumping it for me any other input you would like to add would be appreciated...