What would you Do?

turbocav250

Hello Everyone, I have a question reguarding a closed loop system on a 90 gallon reef tank. The tank is a AGA "Reef Ready" pre-drilled tank that is already plumbed with a sump and lil' giant return pump. I want to run a closed loop system on the tank because I dont like the look of powerheads in the tank that could eventually fail, not that a closed loop pump wouldn't fail either, but it wouldnt make as much as a mess.
Anyways, I'm not sure on how much water movement I would need with the 90 but I am sure that I want to be prepared to care for any coral possible.
My idea is to put the input line for the mag pump (Not sure what number maybe you can advise) within the overflow box. That way the water is filtered somewhat and I dont have to worry about fish swimming into the input pipe. What I am worried about is that the mag pump will drain the overflow box faster than the water is replenished.
From there the water will go to the pump mounted outside the tank and be feed into the SCWD and have the return pipes within the tank. I have already searched the forums on closed loop systems so please dont say "search button owns you".

This website was very helpful with the closed loop idea:
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
What should I do?
Here is a picture of my tank being constructed in its beginning phases.

nm reef

What you are considering is close to a thought I had when I set up my 100...but instead I went with a couple of MagDrive pumps in the sump...a 1200 & a 1800...I was concerned about the pump in the overflow getting air. For that reason I just went with plenty of circulation via the pumps and used 5 lines to return to the display. A closed loop would be the way to go if you can figure a way to do it effectively.The SCWD would be a plus for my system too but I think mine works fine as it is. As for pump size....that'll depend on the amount of circulation you desire and/or the capacity of your overflow. Tons of available options but it sounds like you have a idea of what you want....:thinking:

turbocav250

If I placed another pump in the sump wouldn't it dry the sump up faster than the overflow would replenish it? The AGA overflow is supposedly rated for 600 gph if i had the 770 gph pump plus a 1000 something gph pump the sump would be sucked clean woudn't it?