What would you do?

ncjetskier

I have/had (not sure yet) a problem with hairy algae. I have just added culpera and a refugium. The refugium is a 20 gal long tank with the water from the overflow going directly into the protein skimmer (turbo 1000 protein skimmer). Then it goes over/though three inches of sand (two inches new one inch established live sand purchased for local pet store). then back up to the tank. The culpera rests on top of the live sand. All chemical tests read good. Phosphate reads 1-2PPM. Since adding the culpera, it seems that the hairy algae has stopped growing (put has not gone away).
Here is what I need peoples help with. I also purchased live rock (Fiji) last week that is fully cured. I am planning on removing the rock in my reef that has hairy algae (an nothing else on the rock) and replacing it with the new live rock. The new Live rock has some plant growth two it and I want to go ahead and get some good light on it to support the plant growth. What do you think??????????

ntvflgirl

I pulled the hair algae out with tweezers..I also aimed a powerhead at the part of the lr that had hair algae, and added a sally lightfoot, voila...no more hair algae. If it's stopped growing, that can only be a good sign. Don't get rid of your rock...scrub it off!!

ncjetskier

I know exactly what you mean. My hairy algae was strong enough to make rope out of. HOWEVER, after introducing Culpera to the tank, it greatly weakened the algae, and it scrubed off easily with a tooth brush. I was able to get most of it off. If only I knew how great culpera was before spending a boatload of $ with no luck, then I get some free at a reefkeepers meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!

dzhuo

Hi,
I am new and I don't know what's culpera? Can someone tell me what it's and where I can find it?
thanks!
david

oceanjumper

culpera = caulerpa = a fast growing macroalgae that -in theory- outcompetes "nuissance" algae for nutrients (nitrates).
Many ppl have caulerpa in their refugium or sump.

nacl-h2o

dzhuo,
Caulerpa is sold at many LFS and online stores(you can find them with a search on caulerpa). Many people also get it from other hobbiest. I would send you some, but calif Is a long way from NC and would cost alot to ship. I know NMreef also gives it to other hobbiest and N Mex is much closer and cheaper in shipping. He will probably do it, just address a thread to him about it. If you can't get it anywhere else I'll send you some free if you pay shipping, just email me at the address below, But I would try NMreef first.

dzhuo

Thanks! But i don't have a tank yet, i am still in the researching and reading stage of of habby. :)
thanks for the info!
david