What would you put in a custom stand?

I'm going to be building a custom stand soon for my new reef tank. I am still in the design phase, but am putting together some ideas of what I would like to include in the stand, or rather what features would be nice in a stand.
Things on my "possibilities" list so far include an electrical panel with switch controlled outlets. This will be contained in a section of the tank which does not have water in it to prevent fire and short circuit.
I am also going to be building the tank using 4" x 4" posts for the corners . . . overkill I know, but by using the larger beams, I will be adding threaded feet to the bottom of the tank. This will serve as a means to level the tank without the use of shims.
Other than these two ideas, I'm really open to practical ideas . . . so I ask you . . . . what would features would YOU put in a custom stand?

chilwil84

i added a small shelf up near the top to hold supplies to give move ground space should be able to put one that goes over your fuge/sump. if you sheeth the frame in 1/2 plywood (or thicker)you can get away with smaller lumber inside and even put more support pieces on the flat to give more inside space. put plywood on top of your rough frame so your tank has even contact on the entire thing instead of trying to make everything perfect

murray bmf

First of all I'm a huge Bond fan! Second, if I was gonna build a stand, I think the one thing that really bothers me is that my ballasts don't really have a home. Next would be a place to mount my timmers/power strip, but thats just me....

Ahh yes! A home for the ballast is something that I had not thought of!
The concern would be the ambient heat from it though . . . its still going on the "possibilities" list though!

J

jrthomas40

i like drawers....good place to keep your water quality log and it stays nice and dry :)...along with towels to wipe the tank off when you finish working doing some stuff in it

zman1

Originally Posted by 007
I am also going to be building the tank using 4" x 4" posts for the corners . . . overkill I know, but by using the larger beams, I will be adding threaded feet to the bottom of the tank. This will serve as a means to level the tank without the use of shims.
007, just be cautious about the threaded plate/jack that it can support the weight and not punch through the plate ( not talking about the floor). You can get them big enough as they use them on Safes as well, just make sure you size it right.
A shelf for monitor or controller if you have them. If you have a sump and skimmer in it this may not work for you.

Yeah, I've already nixed the levelers idea . . . i'd rather have the weight of the tank distributed evenly across the tank than in 4 points.

adamc1303

Make a door on one end of the stand, So you can pull out the sump at any timne for easier maintnance. Here's a pic

tree

A place for everything:
- the ballasts
- the dry food
- the test kits
- cleaning stuff
- electrical connections with labels & a quick off button
- towels
- all those other odds & ends like tubing for acclimation, suction cups, etc.
Easy access to everything. Make the access doors/panels as large as possible to make it easy to get to everything. Make sure there is enough room to get the top off the skimmer, hang a fan for cooling, inset the light used for the macros in the fuge (those reflector edges can be sharp :scared: )
I lined my stand with a plastic resin/fiberglass panels that I got from Home Depot. Easier to clean up than painted wood.

450rguy

Definitely make a "home" for your ballasts! My Dual MH ballast is a big aluminum box that sits at the end of the tank, in the floor. It sticks out like a sore thumb!
Another idea: Figure out exactly how much height you will need for your sump/fuge/skimmer etc, then add about 4 to 6" to what you think you will need. It seems that is a common hindsight to DIY stand builds, including mine.
Use your doors as storage space. Find some small bin style unit/units, and screw it to the back of your doors. When you open the doors, there all the small things are, easily accessible and not lost in a jumble under the stand. I currently have cup hooks screwed into my doors to store hanging items, but I'm in search of small "bins" to sort out and store my testing equipment.
Just some ideas...

psusocr1

if you want to go crazy and your putting in electrical boxes why not build a space for a mini refridgerator for all of your fish food and or supplements!
now that would be convenient

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by 450rGuy
Definitely make a "home" for your ballasts! My Dual MH ballast is a big aluminum box that sits at the end of the tank, in the floor. It sticks out like a sore thumb!
Another idea: Figure out exactly how much height you will need for your sump/fuge/skimmer etc, then add about 4 to 6" to what you think you will need. It seems that is a common hindsight to DIY stand builds, including mine.
Use your doors as storage space. Find some small bin style unit/units, and screw it to the back of your doors. When you open the doors, there all the small things are, easily accessible and not lost in a jumble under the stand. I currently have cup hooks screwed into my doors to store hanging items, but I'm in search of small "bins" to sort out and store my testing equipment.
Just some ideas...

my ballast is a huge BLUE aluminum box...so it sticks out even worse....lol

chuckcac

1" rigid foam insulation under the DT would provide some insulation against heat loss/gain - and a smooth surface to make up for imperfections on a plywood top. :thinking:

Originally Posted by chuckcac
1" rigid foam insulation under the DT would provide some insulation against heat loss/gain - and a smooth surface to make up for imperfections on a plywood top. :thinking:
Great idea! It will also help to distribute weight more evenly!

chuckcac

Originally Posted by 007
Great idea! It will also help to distribute weight more evenly!

i'm making a DIY stand also... i hope to post pics soon

Originally Posted by chuckcac

i'm making a DIY stand also... i hope to post pics soon

Please do!