What would you say is the chances of getting a Mantis on purchased live rock?

kyarnkid

I am gettting ready to buy some new rock soon and I was curious on what percentage of live rock could have a Mantis Shrimp. Also how cen they stay in your rock when you buy in online. Most companies ship it wrapped in wet towels. Wouldn't they die if there were no water?
Oh well, just looking for input, thanks

ocellaris_keeper

Like other cool things that come with oyur live rock - iverts can survive out of water for awhile. The towels will keep the moisture inside the rock and the mantis has no where to go since the towels cover it. I carried my rock 40 miles in a cooler with no towels and I have a mantis shrimp.
right now he's small and interesting and I will remove him when I am ready. Don't worry about it until you get one. Don't lock your rock into place until it's cycled and the tank is adjusted. This is when they will show up.

swtanks

There are 2 types smashers and spearers. Both are trouble when they get larger.
Smashers will destroy hermits, snails, clams, and hurt like hell if they connect with you when you have your hand in the tank. Larger ones can generate enough force to break the glass on the tank.
Spearers will eat the fish in the tank and look out if one of these connects with you. They will draw blood.
They are sometimes kept in small acrylic tanks by themselves but a 4 to 6 inch one in a reef or community tank would cause all kinds of trouble.

fshhub

slim, kinda like gettong pneumonia, not very great, but good enough to pay attention to, if you know what i mean, jsut use caution enough to be aware, that they can and do exist, and may be apossibility, but not enough to loose sleep over

S

starfishjackedme

I bought 180lbs of transhipped LR from Fiji with no mantis. I was hoping I would get one, but to no avail.

reef newbie

I had a mantis come in on my lr.It took my some time before I got him out of my tank.I was lucky to get him before he could do his dirty work.

swtanks

From what I have seen ove the years is the place you are most likely to get mantis as hitchhikers is from Tampa Bay Saltwater but this usually happens when you get 100lbs or more. Their rock has a lot of life since they harvest it then ship it so the chances of unwanted hitchikers are greater. Kinda like a trade off more good life equals the chance for unwanted life.
Small mantis are harder to catch but don't do nearly as much damage as a really large one. Most people let them grow to the point where they are easier to catch provided that they are not killing everything in the tank.