Whats a good dosing pump and float switch for auto top-off

flatzboy

Hello, I was thinking off getting a tunze osomat but have decided to spend a little more and get something a little better. So first I need to know what would be a good dosing pump and a float switch. My tank is a 46g. bow front with 15g. sump/refugium and I'm evaporating about 1 1/2-2 gallons of water per day. I want to connect the dosing pump a nilsen reactor in the future but not know. Is it hard to hook up a float switch to a dosing pump? Does it require any wiring or do you just plug the float switch in and then plug the pump into the float switch? I'd like to try to spend under $250 for the dosing pump and float switch. So theres the info. anyone who knows anything will be greatly appreciated!!:D

flatzboy

I found a site where I can get a spectapure liter meter 3 for $270. I saw a lot of tanks running them. Do I still need a float switch with this dosing pump? Also does anybody use the mrc nilsen reactors with the magnetic stir?

wildemon

Dosing pumps are designed to deliver set amounts of fluid over time, they are not made to run from a float switch. You adjust the milliliters being pumped to equal your 1-1/2 gallon evaporation.
An electronic float switch could be wired as a fail-safe to cut power to the pump under the unusual circumstance of an overflowing sump. A peristalic pump can also run without any fluid and not be damaged.
William Fisher

golfish

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
I found a site where I can get a spectapure liter meter 3 for $270. I saw a lot of tanks running them. Do I still need a float switch with this dosing pump? Also does anybody use the mrc nilsen reactors with the magnetic stir?

I'm not sure about the Liter Meter 3...I use the old Liter Meter..If its the same it will come with a vacuum switch that will shut down the pumps if the level gets too high..From what I understand, the LM3 has a built in pump and it able to control two other dosing pumps. Mine is just a pump that can be metered from 0-99 liters a day.
BTW, I control my Liter Meter with a float switch and use the vacuum switch as back up.
If it were me I'd probably go with Aqua Medic 3000 dosing pump and the ReefFanatic level contoller....

flatzboy

So I should go with a float switch if I go with the liter meter 3? I'm gonna check out the aqua medic oump and reef fanatic controller in a minute.:D

robchuck

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
So I should go with a float switch if I go with the liter meter 3? I'm gonna check out the aqua medic oump and reef fanatic controller in a minute.:D

That would be a good route to go. The AM pump is fairly inexpensive, though it lacks some of the advanced features of the LM3 (auto water changes when coupled with a slave pump, etc.), but coupled with the Reef Fanatic Level Controller, this combo would serve about the same purpose as the Osmolator. Plus, the AM pump is actually a peristalic pump, where the Osmolator pump is just a miniature water pump.

flatzboy

Thanks for the good advice, i've made up my mine to go with the reef fanatic lvel controller and am pump.:D

kms

hey chris, where are you from originally? I ask, b/c i now someone with your name.
sorry, to hijack the thread...I'm done!

flatzboy

Originally posted by chriscobb
Hey Flatzboy did you get the level controller from Reef Fanatic? How is it???

Nope still haven't gotten it, I've been spending my money on sps frags but I might buy one this weekend when i get my paycheck. i'll let you know when i do get it.:D

golfish

Originally posted by chriscobb
Just to let you know Flatzboy Reef Fanatic doesn't sell retail anymore

and what a bummer that is seeing how RF is just a few miles from me...I've known Bob at RF a long time, even then he would rather me buy retail then from him:nope:

flatzboy

I found a site that sells the controller for $89 is this a good price, it comes with 2 float sensors? The site is reefgeek they have a lot of other reef fanatic products to.:D