What's all this Red Sh*t Growing in my Tank?

ltradziej

Dear Scholars of Saltwaterfish.
I come to your aid searching for the reason why I have dark red sh*t growing all over my live rock and on top of my decorish clam shells. The red areas are growing and its worrying me...each area has air bubbles floating that are attached to the rock/clam shell.
I have pics but they're not very good...anyone

shogun323

Sounds like cyanobacteria. A couple of possible causes are of lack of water flow or too much light. Also phosphates. Are you using tap water or RO?

ltradziej

Some tap and some store bought pre-mixed. Phosphate levels aren't too bad (I just use the strip tests). ANy idea on how to rid this?

shogun323

I had a red slime problem in a small area of my tank for a while. I got rid of it by carefully scooping it out. Then I repositioned my powerheads to ensure that I was getting enough flow in that area of my tank. I also changed my source of water.
I reccomend that you don't use any tap. I assume you are using the tap water for your topoffs and premixed for water changes. Your LFS should have some plain RO water (mine has it for .49 per gallon). I would get that or invest in your own RO/DI filter for your house.
Best of Luck to you!!!

cyclops

You can always check your local Supermarket for a RO dispencer. I get mine from Safeway for .43 cents a gallon.

cymbal67

you can get either a phosphate removing filter pad, or a phos-reactor, both are supposed to reduce phosphates. but nix the tap water, i have only heard bad things about tap water.

ginarox

at your lfs they should have some stuff called chemi clean,,you could use that,,,also i had that problem before too,,i was getting some sun light in my aquarium that was causing my red slim, so now i keep my curtains closed to keep that from happening again, and so far so good,,, i hope this helps,,good luck let us know how it goes...have a great day

topfins-mj

look for red slime remover that is the problem. I had the same issue. This stuff is awesome. It takes three days to clear but ever since I used it a month and a half ago, no sign of it.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by TopFins-MJ
look for red slime remover that is the problem. I had the same issue. This stuff is awesome. It takes three days to clear but ever since I used it a month and a half ago, no sign of it.
But until you address the cause of the problem it will just come back.
Tap water is a known cause. Low circulation also can be a culprit.

spartanph

Solving the source of the problem is the key because it will come back.
Drastically cutting back your light will help put a dent in it. There is a great thread in the archives on the steps to solve your problem. Just do a search in the archive forum on red slime.

jonk520c

I had red slime for a while too. i tried everything. i did find one thing that worked and I have not had it since. There is a power product out there called "Red Slime remover" made by "ultralife reef products" . it is about $20 for a small vial of it.
it won't harm fish inverts or corals.
jk

fishfood

Originally Posted by jonk520c
I had red slime for a while too. i tried everything. i did find one thing that worked and I have not had it since. There is a power product out there called "Red Slime remover" made by "ultralife reef products" . it is about $20 for a small vial of it.
it won't harm fish inverts or corals.
jk
It can and will harm fish and Inverts. I lost over $500 in livestock from ultralife red slime remover, and it had no effect on the red slime.