Whats best freshwater algae eater?

jordan s

I got a 75 gallon tank with about 20 tetras and afew guppies in it right now. I am wondering what is the best kind of algae eaters should i can put into tank with them. Some people tell me to get chinese algae eaters. Some people say plecos and others say ghost shrimp. Any ideas on what better cleaners are?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan S http:///t/397464/whats-best-freshwater-algae-eater#post_3542598
I got a 75 gallon tank with about 20 tetras and afew guppies in it right now. I am wondering what is the best kind of algae eaters should i can put into tank with them. Some people tell me to get chinese algae eaters. Some people say plecos and others say ghost shrimp. Any ideas on what better cleaners are?

Hi,

To be honest, and I kept freshwater fish for 30 years...there are no good algae eaters that actually clean the tank. Snails do the best job, but still they don't do a "good" job. That's the joy of saltwater tanks...the algae eating critters actually do the job intended. So do your 2Xs a year breakdown of the entire tank to scrub everything down, put the fish in buckets and vacuum the substrate...that's the only way I could keep a nice looking freshwater tank. I tried planted tanks, but the fish just tear it all up, and still the algae grows.

There are chemicals that will kill the algae and save yourself some work. I always tried to do things the natural way, and not use chemicals....if you call removing the fish to buckets "natural"...LOL

jordan s

How many plecos would you want? I know they get up to like almost 24 inches
Hi,
To be honest, and I kept freshwater fish for 30 years...there are no good algae eaters that actually clean the tank. Snails do the best job, but still they don't do a "good" job. That's the joy of saltwater tanks...the algae eating critters actually do the job intended. So do your 2Xs a year breakdown of the entire tank to scrub everything down, put the fish in buckets and vacuum the substrate...that's the only way I could keep a nice looking freshwater tank. I tried planted tanks, but the fish just tear it all up, and still the algae grows.
There are chemicals that will kill the algae and save yourself some work. I always tried to do things the natural way, and not use chemicals....if you call removing the fish to buckets "natural"...LOL
Would snails and ghost shrimp be okay for cleaners?

dmanatee

One of your best algae eaters is actually one of the smallest fish. Look up Otocinclus. They are tiny and you can have several in your tank. Unlike the Chinese algae eater that can get aggressive as they get larger, the Otocinclus is peaceful and a great community fish. Also for pleco's go for the rubber lipped type. They stay "smaller" is pleco terms and are more likely to actually munch on the algae. Ghost shrimp and snails are great too.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanatee http:///t/397464/whats-best-freshwater-algae-eater#post_3542801
One of your best algae eaters is actually one of the smallest fish. Look up Otocinclus. They are tiny and you can have several in your tank. Unlike the Chinese algae eater that can get aggressive as they get larger, the Otocinclus is peaceful and a great community fish. Also for pleco's go for the rubber lipped type. They stay "smaller" is pleco terms and are more likely to actually munch on the algae. Ghost shrimp and snails are great too.

Hi,

Be carful and do your homework...I killed all 4 of my $25.00 Angelfish ($100.00), with a dollars worth ( 25 cents each) of otocinclus.... it seems they also like the slime coat on mature angelfish, they develop a slime coat when they are of age to breed, I was heat broken. I don't know what other fish they may be unsuitable as tank mates for....