whats better saltwater or freshwater???

flyfan2010

hello...i have a 90 gallon tank that can not be drilled(tempered) just wondering if freshwater is the way to go.....just worried about all the stuff i'm gonna have to hang on the tank for saltwater.....any suggestions.......thanks

teresaq

A lot of people have undrilled tanks. you can still have a sump for your equipment and the only thing hanging in your main tank is an overflow box.
T

J

jstdv8

yeah, just put all that stuff in the sump, so you have an overflow box and a couple of powerheads. You came to a saltwater forum to ask which is better is like going to a Chevrolet dealer and asking which is better a chevy or a ford :p
Alot of us here have both so they can give you some insight.
Personally I love the colors of the saltwater livestock and corals vs the freshwater. and alot of the fish seem to have greater personality in SW as well.
Freshwater is easier to get started due to low cost and hardy fish.

1guydude

SALTWATER MAN!!!! cmon, lol never owned a fw tank and dont plan too.....well maybe if i get a kid or something! LOL but no plans there either

dethsight

freshwater is much simpler (in general) to maintain and keep up with. i had a 20G FW and 55G SW AND a 10GSW running and it was very crazy. but, like anything, its up to personal preference. if u want very vivid fish and pretty corals...etc, go with SW. if u want easy and (again, in general) hardier to keep fish, and might be on a budget, go with FW. there is still beauty in FW. like some cichlids and the albino Oscars. plus, if push comes to shove with a FW tank, tap water can hold u off until u can get to some better water. and the cichlids and oscars are used to the dirtier water.

ibanez

Get a drilled tank would be the first choice, if funds are too tight, stick with saltwater and deal with the hang on stuff. Freshwater is nice but most freshwater don't hold a candle to saltwater and the ones that do are as high tech as a reef tank.

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfan2010 http:///forum/thread/386296/whats-better-saltwater-or-freshwater#post_3392121
hello...i have a 90 gallon tank that can not be drilled(tempered) just wondering if freshwater is the way to go.....just worried about all the stuff i'm gonna have to hang on the tank for saltwater.....any suggestions.......thanks
I highly doubt all 5 panes are tempered. it's most likely just the bottom pane, unless its a custom tank. most tank manufacturers don't waste the extra cost on all tmepered as it would just about double the production cost. you can double check the manufacturer. my 125 when I rebuilt it went from standard glass bottom pane to tempered and I just drilled my overflows into the back panes.
if you scroll down through this thread you can see how I did my overflows.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/369301/the-125g-oh-yes