whats does this mean ?

espkh9

"Last night I put 25ml of water into my algae culture dishes"
im trying to figure out how to make green waterand understand what exactly is green water.

fishieness

greenwater is just concentrated phytoplankton cultures.
The 25 mL of water into the culture dishes either probably was to start the growth of the culture or to add more water through evaporation or from some that was taken out to feed.
It's not really difficult to do. Mix the salt to around 1.021 and keep it warm (for most species), add a culture of algae (can be purchased offline or from a fellow reefer) and leave it in the sun or under a light with an air bubbler. Wait a little and you will soon have green water.

espkh9

i bought a product called instant algae...it is green water live...instead of making my own greenwater im going to use this product does anyone know hoe much will feed 1 qt of live rotifers in a 10 gallon tank daily ?
i dont want to overfeed and have the tank crash with an ammonia spike. thanks

fmarini

ESP-- if you do a websearch for my last name and microfoods, you'll find a years worth of articles on culturing phytoplanktons, rotifers, artemia, all the way up. You can get a jump on what phytoplanktons and microfood cultures for fish breeding
Instant algae is usually not alive, infact depending on which product you purchased it might be a glycerol product, or a freeze-dried product. There are a few live products (like DTs), but it s mixture and usually your culture conditions favor out growth of one of the mix.

espkh9

bang guy recommended this product he says he uses it its "nano...." green water 3600 from a lab in san jose it was $93 with shipping and they say its a great product to feed rotifers...also what do i search what is your last name ?
i have now 2 strains in rectangular buckets with ridged tibuning and a small pump aerating the water
1 is 1 qt in 1 gallon of salt water type s b strain sal. 1.017 and ph 7.9 temp 72
the other is 2.5 qts of saltwater rotifers type L in a little more than 2 gallons of water same conditions.. i feed the greenwater a few drops daily so the tank is slighty a hint of yellowish lime green..so far the rotifers have been doing great multiplying and i can see many many of them moving to eat the greenwater which i belive to be live phyoplankton green water.. its being stored in the fridge and some in the freezer...every week to 10 days i switch buckets sterlize them ofcourse before...and clean the others and then keepm the cycle going i run 2 if one crahsed i have a backup for my larva i have 2 pairs of ocalleris egg layers.. they lay about 1000-2000 eggs every 2 weeks...i use a strainer to get the rotifers out and feed the larvae hen they hatch.. so far so good the first clutch is still in the metomorphisis stage but a few might make it on my first try...if not at least i have the rotifers culture going well..as far as making green water too much time id rather buy the instant algae nanochlorosis however you spell it from a farm or lab in cali i think in san jose...its highly recommended from many experts...if im missing anything please let me know ..thanks for the help.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2647285
bang guy recommended this product he says he uses it its "nano...." green water 3600 from a lab in san jose it was $93 with shipping and they say its a great product to feed rotifers...also what do i search what is your last name ?
Dr. Marini's last name is "Marini".

espkh9

still running to culteres of rotifers feeding them greenwatere live phyto...is 1 ml a day in 1 gallon of ritifers to much ?
they are in rectangular tubs with ridged tubing for air circulation and one of them is a b strain the other a L strain both saltwater rotifers, the water always has a light green or yellowish hue..i uses a strainer to take some out and they seem alive some are larger than the other and some are so big relativelyt hat you can see thier annetans if you will and almost look like a small ant. i switch buckets every 10 days to keep it sanitized.. am i missing anything here ? thank you...
im trying to keep the rotifers alive for as long as i can so far 1 month....the clowns seem to be laying bad eggs.. they lay hundreds nut they start off whitish or silver never red or orange..these are ocalleris clowns and are breeding really for the first time...they laid 2 clutches over the pat month.. but an algae growth in thier dt 10 gallon has stopped the breeding for now im working on that..my filter went out...i see them both vigoursly tryuing to get the algae off of the ceramic tile in there and the flower pot. i just want to be ready with live rotifers when the time comes but unfortunately they are not laying good eggs wither the male does not know how to fertilize properly or i dont know whats going on...somethings off i feed thme some algae flakes some mysis shrimp and pellets..a well balanced diet. anyways since they are new egg layers this could be common and expected, i await the next clutch eagerly to see if they got it right..all the params in the broadstock tank are in order. thanks again,