whats easier too do for a beginner in saltwater? im doing a fowlr tank.

what is easier too do? a predator tank with a snowflake eel and dwarf lion , and a falco hawk
or having smaller fish like clowns etc easier too maintain etc

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It really is your choice. I'd advise picking what you really want to do, then carefully assessing your ability to do it financially. Adequate research in to the system you want, and the animals you wish to keep is key to setting up any tank successfully. Don't underestimate that.

how is this ?
2 regular clownfish
a watchman goby
pistol shrimp
cleaner shrimp
a emerald crab(idk if its good in a fowlr)/ or a hermit crab
maybe a few blue chromis?

lmforbis

All need to be added slowly after you have done a ton of research on every animal you plan to put in your tank. You need to know what their needs are and how to meet them. You need to understand the basic biology of a marine ecosystem as well as the chemistry necessary to keep the tank healthy. Only then would you be ready to start putting things together. These fish are living creatures and should not be put in an environment where their needs are not being met whether it is neglect or ignorance it is not acceptable. You now need to start doing your homework.

silverado61

what other colorful fish then?
Start your research and you'll be able to decide what fish you want on your own. We can name dozens of colorful fish but until you do your research you won't know which ones are compatible with each other and what each one needed to thrive in a closed system. When I first started in this hobby some years ago I took six months to research which fish I wanted including their needs, who gets along with who, how much experience I needed to care for each fish. It was a long process of elimination till I narrowed it down to what I truly wanted and knew I could take care of. Then I took another six months to research what I needed to build my tank around their needs. Only then did I research what I needed to put that tank together and properly cycle it so that I suffered no losses. You have to understand that nothing good happens fast in this hobby. It took millions of years for the oceans ecosystem to balance itself so that it could support hundreds of thousands of different species so that they would not just survive but thrive as well. I'm sure you can be patient enough to take a few months to learn about this hobby before you just dive into it expecting good results. If you just jump in with both feet before finding all this out your just heading for a major disappointment. Go to the library and check out as many books as you can find on caring for marine life. There are many threads in this forum that can help you along with a lot of questions you may have.

Start your research and you'll be able to decide what fish you want on your own. We can name dozens of colorful fish but until you do your research you won't know which ones are compatible with each other and what each one needed to thrive in a closed system. When I first started in this hobby some years ago I took six months to research which fish I wanted including their needs, who gets along with who, how much experience I needed to care for each fish. It was a long process of elimination till I narrowed it down to what I truly wanted and knew I could take care of. Then I took another six months to research what I needed to build my tank around their needs. Only then did I research what I needed to put that tank together and properly cycle it so that I suffered no losses. You have to understand that nothing good happens fast in this hobby. It took millions of years for the oceans ecosystem to balance itself so that it could support hundreds of thousands of different species so that they would not just survive but thrive as well. I'm sure you can be patient enough to take a few months to learn about this hobby before you just dive into it expecting good results. If you just jump in with both feet before finding all this out your just heading for a major disappointment. Go to the library and check out as many books as you can find on caring for marine life. There are many threads in this forum that can help you along with a lot of questions you may have.
i have been nonstop looking stuff up bro! it all comes down too what i wanna keep. is there any type of clownfish that can live with a snowflake?

jay0705

Depends who u ask. Some people have no issues w them and fish. Generally tho its a matter of when not if they eat smaller tankmates

mr. limpid

Justin, I have one suggestion for you, research. There are many sites that sell fish look at a few, most of them tell you what size tank is needed to house them. I read in one of the threads someone said buy fish for the size of tank you have, don't plan on going larger plans change. If you don't have a tank yet. Then plan the fish you want and buy the tank to fit them, to full adult. I've doing this hobby for 34 years and i'm still learning.

Justin, I have one suggestion for you, research. There are many sites that sell fish look at a few, most of them tell you what size tank is needed to house them. I read in one of the threads someone said buy fish for the size of tank you have, don't plan on going larger plans change. If you don't have a tank yet. Then plan the fish you want and buy the tank to fit them, to full adult. I've doing this hobby for 34 years and i'm still learning.
i have been nonstop researching. i am just gonna do the 29 fowlr

mr. limpid

Did you buy the tank yet? If not look at 30 long this much better for saltwater, more water surface area.

beaslbob

I recommend you start the tank with macro algaes. Then do the rest. Best in a refugium which can just be a simple partition to keep the fish and algae separate.

my .02