whats easier too do for a beginner in saltwater? im doing a fowlr tank.

lmforbis

A 40 breeder is a nice tank. If you watch for the ***** dollar a gallon sale (have several times a year) the tank will cost you $40. In my opinion one of the best sizes for a small set up. The rest of the equiptment would be similar in cost to the 29.

A 40 breeder is a nice tank. If you watch for the ***** dollar a gallon sale (have several times a year) the tank will cost you $40. In my opinion one of the best sizes for a small set up. The rest of the equiptment would be similar in cost to the 29.
awesome ! ill def look out for it! my lfs says they can do 300 for a setup for a 29. so that means 300 for a 40

lmforbis

Depends. The fish store will charge you more. A 40 breeder is considerably more expensive than a 29 if you buy it at the fish store. That is why you watch for the dollar a gallon sale wher the difference is $11.

Depends. The fish store will charge you more. A 40 breeder is considerably more expensive than a 29 if you buy it at the fish store. That is why you watch for the dollar a gallon sale wher the difference is $11.
do i need too drill my tank for coral? if i do coral all im doing is something good for a beginner like a pulsing xenia

lmforbis

Be careful about taking local fish store advise. They are trying to get you to purchase something. Sump is not necessary even for easy corals. I’d wait on that. Get a good hang on filter. If a year or so you decide you want to go for coral you can consider a sump. You will need decent lights for coral and they are a big expense. Make sure you want to go that way befor you put the money into it.
There is usually a ***** sale in the spring just keep your eyes open.

Jesterrace

how is a 20 gallon long? i cant find a used 30 gallon long anywhere.
A 20 would work but a 40 breeder would be much better. Although the dollar per gallon no longer applies to tanks over 40 gallons. They do 50% off now. I also agree that a sump isn't necessary and adds a needless degree of cost and complexity to a tank of under 50 gallons. A solid HOB filter will be fine (ie Fluval 70 or 110 or Tidal 75 or larger).

A 20 would work but a 40 breeder would be much better. Although the dollar per gallon no longer applies to tanks over 40 gallons. They do 50% off now. I also agree that a sump isn't necessary and adds a needless degree of cost and complexity to a tank of under 50 gallons. A solid HOB filter will be fine (ie Fluval 70 or 110 or Tidal 75 or larger).
awesome ! so i dont need a sump if i have a few coral? i will have good lights

so fluval 70 gallon right

Jesterrace

A sump is not required as long as you stay on top of your water quality and get a decent light. A Fluval 70 gallon is what I was referring to.