What's going on with clowns???

hermitkrab

Okay I have two clowns (false perculas) in my 40g. They are the only fish. My tank has been up before December. They live only with inverts. My inverts are one queen conch, one mexican turbo, 20 scarlet hermits, 10 turbo snails, 5 or more ceriths, 2-3 emerald crabs, duster cluster, and 15 nassarius snails. My tank has 75 lb. of lr and 90 lb. of ls. Okay now onto my question. My one clown is bigger and a brighter color than the other. The bigger one swims around the tank and the other stays near the front right corner of my tank. They are friendly with each. The bigger one always makes rounds around the tank then comes back and seems to inspect the smaller one. And now the smaller one is in "cave: formation formed by three rocks. Is this fish going to lay eggs? Is it sick? What? By the way I feed them frozen herbivore food twice a day and frozen mysis shrimp once a day. Is that what they should eat? Thanks for the help.

skrimpz

Im not sure i know i been noticing some of the same behavior from my pair maybe someone will have an ansewer , maybe they are just determing who is the feamle

lion786

well i had the same exp with my clown it stayed at one corner on top all the time for two weeks and during that time my amonia levels were going up every day and my water strted to smel bad to , i gave that back to the lfs , and now my water is fine ,no amonia spike ,or water smell, i think it is because of fishe being streesd , i hope this will help u.

bigarn

Sounds like the larger one has become the dominant female. As long as the smaller one looks good and is eating, I wouldn't worry. :D