What's going on with my tank, please help

jw1977

What's going on with my tank. I have a 46 gallon bowfront that's been up and running for nearly a year. I do water changes twice a month with RO water. Here is my stock list:
2 clownfishes
1 foxface
1 angelfish
1 blue tang
1 firefish
1 bubbletip anemone
1 long spine sea urchin
1 brittle starfish
1 other fish I forget the name but he eats the sand and then spits it out
various coral
I have an emperror 400 filter and a protein skimmer. In the last 3 weeks my anemone died, this didn't surprise me because the whole time I had him he attached himself under the filter so he got no light. Next I saw my fish that eats that sand being eaten by my sea urchin. Lastly, my blue tang dissappeared, This tang was really small and nothing showed signs of ICH. Also, my zoas coral also got eaten by something. I had seen the urchin hovering over it. I've tested my water for ammonia, ph, nitrate and nitrite and everything is in an acceptable range. What's going on? Whose killing my stuff. My foxface has gotten quite big in the last few months. Is the sea urchin responsible for anything. I would really appreciate any feedback. Sorry this was so long.

Im pretty sure that the foxface and blue tang should not be in a 46 gallon tank. Im also sure im not the only one who will say that.

libog2fish

watch out for a black devil crab....
black as oil small and evil...
the anemone thin also might have been a factor....
when you found your anome had died you should have removed the dead invert and do at least a 30% waterchange with the exception of using kalk to stablize the new mixed water from stressing out your livstock....
as for foxface...
he does tend to nip but only certain zoa's

jw1977

I didn't know a foxface shouldn't be in that size tank. I guess that's what you get when you listen to the people at the fish store. You don't my sea urchin has anything to do with any of this?

guppie

what anglefish do you have? Yes the foxface and tang are both going to have problems in a tank that size, the lfs are just tring to make a sale, do some research onling before adding fish to your system, I would think that the angle would be the problem with the coral being eaten.

dutchie387

jw..........I know for a fact your spiney urchin is extremely hazardous to soft corals,I have a 46 gal bowfront also.some time ago,I witnessed my spiney actually devouring my softies.After some research,i discovered urchins are the most distructive creature in any natural reef system...they have teeth on their underside...mine is back at the lfs-you could return yours or buy an otter.lol