Whats in my sump???

c_bell

I have a bunch of rice looking creatures in my sump. All over my heaters and the small pieces of LR rubble tht i have at the bottom of my sump. All of them are about the size of a grain of rice but fatter. Are these pods???
Also inside the tank on the glass I have a bunch of hard spiral looking white things, they are really tiny and seem to group in different places on the glass. I scrap them off every now and then, what are they??? :confused:

c_bell

hmmm the spiral worm doesnt look like that unless that pic is magnafied. but thay are real hard almost like coralline algea and I have to scrap them off. Now the pic of the pod I dont see any ant. on mine the look the same both front and back, like they have no head. :confused: :confused: and the body isn't clear like in the pic, its like and off white/tan color.

c_bell

Thanks Kip
I'm sure its a pod of some sort, I'll try to post a pic of it later my dig cam isn't the best.

doodle1800

I'm breaking down my 10 and have the same thing - rice looking "things" attached to my LR and hard spiral looking white wormy shaped "things" all over the place. Neither one moves -almost like a growth of some sorts... also tiny white very hard dots all over...

krishj39

the "rice" could also be a kind of sponge, I'm thinking q-tip (aka pineapple sponge). they are also white and a little fatter than rice. does the rice move around? if it doesn't have legs :) then my bet is that it is q-tip sponge, very common, especially in sumps where there is lower light and nothing to eat them.

krishj39

I don't know what eats them, except that I have none in my display tank, which most likely means something is eating them. I have a flame angel, he's my best guess, but just about any crab or shrimp could have aquired a taste for them too. You don't need to get rid of your though, they are totally harmless and add a small bit of diversity to the tank.